My FIrst Run - FINALLY!!!

Bill Yonescu

Postby Bill Yonescu » Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:20 am

Thanks to all for your nice comments.

To answers some questions...

David - The fuel tank is 45 gals and is low in the boat between the bottom and the floor just forward to the engine. You can see it at 1:43 into the clip in the shadow. If you have an interest in building one, just yell...Two other members are looking at her to possibly build their version.

Dave, you are half correct - I built her to sell her, hopefully soon. :( If I get interest in a second one I will build it but doubt it will be finished by Gathering 2009. :( I'll be sad/glad when I sell her. BUT, I gotta build something :D :D

Butch, I'll most likely will be at Mount Dora/Tavares March 2009 - Rides galore for anyone!

Billy c - I started with plans from Ken Hankinson's Tahoe 19. Use the hull lines scaled up 17% and modified the rest to become what I call the Yon'e 22. I just crossed a Riva Ariston and I Chris-Craft Lancer 22. I must say that your Belle Isle is absolutely beautiful and you web site fantastic. Looks like your wood work is so neet (no epoxy drips) and shop so clean and organized.

I'm hoping to get a good video of her at speed and on plane in calm water.... It will have to wait a few weeks, at least.

Bill
Wood, without the worries of wood!

DeltaDawg

Miter saw scarfing jig

Postby DeltaDawg » Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:26 am

Bill, Thanks so much for the miter saw scarfing jig pictures in this month's newsletter. I am going to make one this weekend and run a few test pieces through it. I am also going to make a scarf joint gluing and clamping jig like I think Kens suggested. DD

jshaley

Seats

Postby jshaley » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:17 am

The woodwork is stunning but I was really impressed with the seating as well. The front seats at least look like premium production seats available from West, Defender or US Boats. Is the lounge "off the shelf" as well?

Or am I totally off here. Beautiful boat - as is your Riviera.
~~~~~~~~
John H.
Rochester NY

Bill Yonescu

Postby Bill Yonescu » Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:00 pm

Hi John,

Thanks for your nice comments. All the seats were custom made. The front seats are very similar to the ones you mentioned and use the same inner forms from Attwood. I copied the style from a present production Chris Craft Lancer.. see http://www.chriscraft.com/index.php?src ... _planviews

My boat takes the outer lines from KH's Tahoe 19 (117%) and then combines the Lancer 22 with the hope it looks a little like a Riva Ariston..

Bill

jshaley

Home made

Postby jshaley » Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:06 pm

Wow, you sure nailed that design.

I have some questions about your Riviera. A lot of Rivieras have striped decking, some with white caulk pin striping. Yours looks like it is veneer. And it almost looks like the hull was large sheet ply as well, but could not have worked with the curves. Whatever it was the effect was stunning. I was just curious if the decks were stripped and I am not seeing it or if your approached it differently.

John
~~~~~~~~
John H.
Rochester NY

jshaley

Planks

Postby jshaley » Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:10 pm

Bill,

Just ran through your Riviera build photos for the umpteenth time. I can see from the turn over photos that the hulls is wide strips of play, looks like 4-6" maybe?

Also, on the launch photo there is a minivan. I am curious about the tow weight of the Riviera - especially since you "super sized" the engine a bit.

JH
~~~~~~~~
John H.
Rochester NY

Bill Yonescu

Postby Bill Yonescu » Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:36 pm

The Riviera (and Monaco) did have 3mm Sapele plywood on it's deck (I think .045 face veneer) on top of the 3/8" sub-seck, joined at one of the inner white seams. My latest has full 1/4" solid mahogany for the outer deck with a 1/4" sub-deck.

All boats had final layer of 1/4" spiled solid mahogany for the sides.. probably the most difficult part of the builds..

I estimate that the Riviera was about 2600 lbs.. It was easily pulled by my Windstar (and Quest) with a 3500 lb capacity hitch.

Bill

Return to “Gathering 2008”