It's Official Then!

Butch Barto

Postby Butch Barto » Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:33 pm

AAARGA We came in our RV the campground is huge.It is about a mile or so from the cibins where we will all gather,cook,eat, lie,ect .We went back and forth with our boat it was great .Cheap too.

AAARGH

Postby AAARGH » Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:08 pm

How many days should I plan to stay in the Guntersville RV Park. I want to start planning a trip adjenda to forcast how many days to take off, I'm figuring min 2weeks mabe 3 weeks. I figure arrive on the Thursday the 22nd and depart Monday the 26th. What say you?

Paul

Fabricflyer

Postby Fabricflyer » Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:12 pm

Paul,
We stayed two nights. Got there Fri morning, stayed Fri and Sat night. Great park. Would have stayed longer, but had to work Mon.

Allen

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:39 pm

Paul,

The last two years several people have stayed a couple of more days. Some were doing river trips. The fall colors can be incredible (You Calif. people would not understand.). The last two years we missed by a week.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Dave Grason

Postby Dave Grason » Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:47 pm

AAARGH wrote: I figure arrive on the Thursday the 22nd and depart Monday the 26th.

How late Monday? Bob Maskel and I left out for Chattanooga on Bob's Sea Knight Sunday midday and came back on Monday. We arrived back in G'ville about 3 in the afternoon. Those were 2 days I would not have missed for the world. Trust me when I say this but if you can swing your schedule to include the Chattanooga River Trip, it makes the total weekend complete and it will be one of the best weekends any hobbyist boatbuilder could have. I'm writing a report about it for the next webletter.

Bill Edmundson wrote: The fall colors can be incredible (You Calif. people would not understand.)

Yeah, we missed the peak by a week or so but the colors were still amazing. Miss Connie and I have some aquaintances here that moved from SoCal a year or so back. One of the first things they asked was if it was green like this all the time? It's amazing what we take for granted sometimes.
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

AAARGH

Postby AAARGH » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:05 pm

It looks like you guys need to educate me. I have been to the costal islands off of the So. California, many Lakes in California even the Missouri river in South Dakota, But I have not had the plesure of navigating up and down real Americana Rivers. The farthest I've been heading east has been the east side of the Colorodo River and South Dakota on family trips when I was a kid.
My typical weekends at Catalina Island consist of sailing to the island (Less than 30 miles)catching a mooring buoy, breaking out the dinghy and eather diveing or hiking around the island, Its all great fun, but when I read about Ray Macke's adventures up and down all of those rivers in Therapy I said " Now that sounds like an adventure" This is why I decited to first start at Guntersville, and see what out there meet new people and just have a good time.

Paul
link to Ray's web site
http://www.egyptian.net/~raymacke/index.html

upspirate

Postby upspirate » Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:20 am

Since it's such a long trip and you've not seen that area of the country,you may want to spend some time in the mountains of Ga too.

It's not that much farther,and the Southern Appalachian mountains are beautiful...esp that time of year(Guntersville is the start of the Appalacians I believe)

What boat are you thinking of bringing??

Nova SS

Postby Nova SS » Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:24 pm

are there a lot of camp site avialable this time of year or would it be best to book ahead of time?
Last edited by Nova SS on Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AAARGH

Postby AAARGH » Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:29 pm

A Cabin Skiff modified to fit into my Toy Hauler, Basically a Console Skiff from Cabin skiff plans.

We plan to book well ahead.

Paul

Rob Myran

Looking forward to the 2009 Gathering

Postby Rob Myran » Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:46 pm

I now have a goal for finishing my Minuet (Double Nickel) and trailering it to the gathering. I was hoping to have it finished and taking it this last year, but that was too optimistic. Sometimes one needs a deadline to work to.

It will be fun to meet others who have done what I have been doing.
Another fine mess I've gotten myself into!

Dave Grason

Re: Looking forward to the 2009 Gathering

Postby Dave Grason » Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:08 pm

Rob Myran wrote: Sometimes one needs a deadline to work to.

That's a fact. Trying to get ready this last year's Gathering snapped my project right out of the doldrums. I was needing that. Now I'm moving along well and feel confident that I'll make it on the water this year.
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

Rob Myran

Re Doldrums

Postby Rob Myran » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:41 pm

It will help if we can get some temperatures above negative numbers to get my boat building restarted. Epoxy and fingers both work better around room temperature.
Another fine mess I've gotten myself into!

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:26 pm

:)

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Bob Maskel

Postby Bob Maskel » Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:28 pm

Dave Grason wrote:
Rob Myran wrote: Sometimes one needs a deadline to work to.

That's a fact. Trying to get ready this last year's Gathering snapped my project right out of the doldrums. I was needing that. Now I'm moving along well and feel confident that I'll make it on the water this year.

Well folks, now its less than 9 months away...time to be thinking of what needs to be done! It'll be here before we know it!

I'm with you Rob, my thermometer says -8 as I write this...temps below freezing the entire month of January so far...1st time since 1979 it hasn't hit 32 degrees even once in the month. :(

Bob Maskel

Postby Bob Maskel » Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:31 pm

Bob Maskel wrote:...time to be thinking of what needs to be done! It'll be here before we know it!

boat-wise that is...I'll grant you its a little early to plan the food :oops:

Return to “Gathering 2009”