It's Official Then!

Rob Myran

2009 gathering

Postby Rob Myran » Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:38 pm

Well, I plan to attend, and I plan to tow my newly completed (I Hope) Minuet "Double Nickel" to the gathering. It is my goal to complete the boat this summer.

I have made some progress on building a trailer (from Glen-L plans) for it and as soon as the weather here in Western Wisconsin moderates, I will press forward on that.

Even if my boat is not quite completed, I should be able to take it because the trailer WILL be done.

I will probably camp at the park. Ideally it should be in the boat!

My other goal is to have a fairly comprehensive presentation of photos and writing on the process of building the Minuet and the trailer and sewing the sails.

So this is my commitment for the summer. I hope everyone else will also be able to use the gathering as a "stimulus" to get their projects done, as well.

Fair winds
Another fine mess I've gotten myself into!

upspirate

Postby upspirate » Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:43 pm

We look forward to meeting you & seeing what you got!!

You will have a great time.

Are you sewing a Sailrite kit,or from scratch?

http://www.sailrite.com/

Warren

Rob Myran

Postby Rob Myran » Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:43 pm

Re: "Are you sewing a Sailrite kit,or from scratch? "

I am going to use Sailrite kits. I have had an Ultrafeed LSZ for several years and have made a Storm jib for my Precision 21 and have done some sail repairs with it.

This winter I bought several books on sail technology and hope to get to the point of building from scratch with some competence eventually. I figure that the sewing is the easy part of sail design (though it is labor intensive) but knowing how to put the right bow in the belly of a sail and why, well, that takes time and experience.

My exercise will be to use the sail dimensions shown on the Minuet plans and try to design the sails myself, then compare to the Sailrite kits I get.
Another fine mess I've gotten myself into!

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:10 pm

OK! Ollie!
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:44 pm

:lol: I'm booked in :!: :D

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Dwain the ski king

Re: It's Official Then!

Postby Dwain the ski king » Wed May 27, 2009 11:00 pm

I'm still planning on comin'....You Cal. guys should look up in Oregon in middle of October, we have a very colorful show here...Lotsa decideous(sp?)trees here(leafs)..In fact I take our car club (Inliners Int.)on a "Fall Leaf tour" every year, sixth year coming up....
We intend to make our way across the US a few hudred miles each day in motorhome ,and looking over the landscape....Have been to Texas by car so know places to revisit....And of course the Ski King will be taggin' along.....Dwain Colton, the SKIIIIIIIIIIII KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIG..........

Butch Barto

Postby Butch Barto » Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:17 pm

Rob the campground in first class We will be there also in our R.V.It is right by the docks where we can park.

Jimmy70

Postby Jimmy70 » Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:04 am

Lordy it sounds like there is going to be a heap more people there than before and I know I will be there for sure unless I die before it happens. I had a good time even when I was so damn sick with the sinus problem I still enjoyed the food and the people and I am sure it is going to even get better.

For those who don't want to camp the hotels are decent in town and only a few minutes drive to the park. I tried booking the hotel on the site but was told it was booked up 3 months before so we took a room in town and then when we got there found out there was plenty of rooms left on the site hotel. I was really miffed about that too as I don't think I really talked to the right person when doing the booking.

Me personally would still like to have it in Sept. as it is just a little to chilly and to windy for some of our boats. Just something to hash out again later or we can try to find another location in Ky or Tenn that can handle all of us. I do believe this is going to keep right on growing and maybe even get to be a whole week vacation trip, Huh!!!! As there are a lot of us retired too and don't have to hurry back to work like we used to do.
Jimmy
Dreams are free, Reality cost money.

Dwain the ski king

Postby Dwain the ski king » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:07 pm

OOOOOOkKKKKKK...What are the dates again, so I can get this trip planned out...We plan to leave about the 12th or 13th and sightsee our way down there...We should be ther Friday afternoon....
I think the date are 25-26 27 of October????Am i right???? Dwain the SkIIIIIIIIIIIIII KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNG....

jamundsen

Postby jamundsen » Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:16 am

Are there still rooms available? Are unfinished boats welcome?
John
John Amundsen
Monte Carlo
Lakeland,Fl

Work tends to get in the way of boat building

upspirate

Postby upspirate » Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:54 am

All boats are welcome

BruceDow

Postby BruceDow » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:04 am

Yes... unfinished boats are most welcome... there have been several at each of the past two gatherings. (And I'm not sure when I am EVER going to call my boat "finished"... It is a perpetual work in progress)

Cabins... The reservation list is currently held by Dave Grason... Last we heard from him, some were still available, but he (alone) holds the key to getting them released from his name to yours. He has been offline for a while (It is his work busy season).

If we don't hear from him in a week or two, we'll try other means to hunt him down.

B.
Bruce.

~~ Do what you love, and love what you do. ~~
~~ To me - only my boat is not yet perfect. Everybody else's is to be admired for I know the path they have walked (Dave Lott, 2010) ~~
Dow's Monaco Project

Oyster

Postby Oyster » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:06 am

I think even without a boat, there is room for folks wanting to view and ride a variety of models. You never know you may order a couple of plans after you go back so that you will have enough bathroom reading materials that you can ponder over for the future too. You can never have enough education you know. :twisted:

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:10 am

There are lots of rooming options. There is a big camp ground, a nice lodge, Chalets on top of the mountain, the Lake Cabins (Gathering HQ) are probably full, Hotels in town and some stay on their boats.

The cabins are 2 bed room. So, someone may have a spare room.

Bill
Tahoe 19 Build

ttownshaw

Postby ttownshaw » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:26 am

Okay, I'm gonna make it there this year. Hopefully one of the boats will be far enough along to bring with me. If one of the cabins is available I'll take it...and will share the other room if someone needs it. Who do I send money to for the room? I'll PM Dave since he has the list.

If no cabins are available, would it be out of place to consider just showing up and figuring out the lodging once I get there?
Bill

I told my wife we needed a three-car garage for my projects...she told me to ask her for permission next time before I buy a house.
http://www.unitybuild.net

Return to “Gathering 2009”