River Run 2009 // Delta Queen

kens

River Run 2009 // Delta Queen

Postby kens » Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:29 pm

There was much talk about a river run at the 2009 Gathering; the trip to Chattennooggaa seeminly being a favorite.
I just read in the paper that the "Delta Queen" is no longer doing voyages. She is permanently tied up in Chatenoogaa. She is now a floating Hotel. As a kid I grew up on the Ohio River watching in amazement as She passed by many times, never having the cash for a voyage. I watched many of the "Great Steamboat Races" between the Delta Queen and the "Belle of Louisville".
Now that the Queen is a floating Hotel, in Chatenooga, the river run is a 'definite' on my part.
Is anyone else interested in visiting this Historic Landmark?
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

Rob Myran

Re: River Run 2009 // Delta Queen

Postby Rob Myran » Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:13 pm

I have seen the Delta Queen a number of times as it called in La Crosse Wisconsin. I never got a chance to go aboard. It is the epitome of a real riverboat. The bigger "floating motels" such as The American Queen may be more efficient (except in this economy) and the are fun to see as well, but, for me the smaller boats have the magic.

La Crosse has the Julia Belle Swain operating there in the summer.

So, If time and planning permits, I would love to tour the Delta Queen.
Another fine mess I've gotten myself into!

kens

Postby kens » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:46 pm

"the smaller boats have the magic"

What?? Delta Queen is a 280' boat!!!
And She is fast also!!
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

Bob Maskel

Postby Bob Maskel » Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:44 pm

kens wrote:There was much talk about a river run at the 2009 Gathering; the trip to Chattennooggaa seeminly being a favorite.
the river run is a 'definite' on my part.

I'm in...

Dwain, we gotta have things arranged beforehand this year! You bringin' the Ski King?

Bob

Rob Myran

Postby Rob Myran » Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:16 pm

LOL,

Well, the Delta Queen may be big, but compared to the American Queen that stops in La Crosse and blots out the sun, at 418 feet and Wiiiiiddddeee as a barge tow, the Delta Queen seemed petite.

- Rob
Another fine mess I've gotten myself into!

kens

Postby kens » Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:34 pm

kens

Postby kens » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:37 pm

I just visited the link to Delta Queen, she is up and running as a Hotel and entertainment venue on the river. I see that She is operating as entertainment such as shows, dinners, happy hour, hotel, etc.
But, monday looks to be a 'off' day. We had earlier mentioned making the run to Chattenooga on the monday after Gathering. With Monday looking as a off-day for the Queen, what can we do?
Make the river run earlier on the Thursday before?

Bob Maskel

Postby Bob Maskel » Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:14 pm

That would work too, going beforehand, depending on the weather. That would give us some good options anyway. When you say off day on Monday, does that just mean no entertainment or are things on it closed? 2 years ago Ray and I went on Monday and came back Tuesday...last year Dave and I went on Sunday and came back on Monday...so leaving late in the morning Sunday could work too if there is anything going on Sunday evening on the Queen...depending on speed, the run is about 5-6 hours...106 miles I think I remember...we'll all be in the Skiiiiiiii Kiiiiiing or Mr. Hot Rod's wake!

Kinda just depends on weather and what folks are looking at doing at the Queen...live entertainment, etc.

I'll be open to either! It'll be here before we know it.

kens

Postby kens » Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:14 pm

The way I read their website, Monday is no entertainment, and no steam. but, it is open for business.
Looks like all days except monday they got steam & play the Calliope. Since I grew up on the bank of Ohio River watching the Queen going up/down the river, the caliope is entertainment for me.
kinda like so many other hotels/restaurants/etc., they got more things going on later in the week, and monday is the least interesting day.
This is why I am proposing the Delta Queen trip prior to the Gathering; this would put us on the Queen on a Thurs. or Friday vs a monday.

kens

Postby kens » Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:27 pm

Bob Maskel wrote:what folks are looking at doing at the Queen...live entertainment, etc.

Yes!

kens

Postby kens » Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:46 pm

Here is what I found on room rates for the Delta Queen.

http://www.deltaqueenhotel.com/PDF/DQroom_rate.pdf

I plan to make reservations real soon. Also, they are charged at time of reservation, so I want to verify the dates with other folks involved.

What do you guys think about leaving Thurs, and staying in Chattenooga Thurs night. Return to Guntersville for Friday? Is this OK?

BruceDow

Postby BruceDow » Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:41 pm

Ken...

This looks very cool.

I am seriously tempted...

How long is the run? Could you do it in a runabout? Is there overnight mooring at or near the hotel?
Bruce.

~~ Do what you love, and love what you do. ~~
~~ To me - only my boat is not yet perfect. Everybody else's is to be admired for I know the path they have walked (Dave Lott, 2010) ~~
Dow's Monaco Project

Bob Maskel

Postby Bob Maskel » Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:21 pm

Bruce Dow wrote:How long is the run? Could you do it in a runabout? Is there overnight mooring at or near the hotel?

Bruce, its about 106 miles on the river, took me roughly 5 1/2 hours each year running about 24 mph, although a guy doesn't have to run that fast if you don't want to and still make it in plenty of time. There is one lock and I did'nt have to wait either year, with Ray or Dave. You can do it in a runabout...the variable there is the wind...if it is strong blowing against the current it can get rough in spots...Dave and I ran into that last year but we slowed and used trim tabs and it was fine...we also had a full cover and that was big in keeping warm. I don't know if the hotel itself has slips, but on the other side of the river MarineMax has a great long dock for overnight dockage. That's where we stayed both years and there is a big pedestrian bridge right there to easily cross the river. For runabouts or other open boats I'd say the real consideration is the weather...wind and rain more so than the temps...

Both Ray and Dave talk about the town and things to do in their articles on Chattanooga.

I'm game for the run...

kens

Postby kens » Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:22 pm

Bruce Dow wrote:Ken...

This looks very cool.

I am seriously tempted.. Could you do it in a runabout? Is there overnight mooring at or near the hotel?

Yes, and, yes!!! :D :P :)

kens

Postby kens » Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:23 pm

After getting input from 2 other builders, we now have 3 boats making the Chattenooga run on the Thursday prior to Gathering. Some others did mention interest, and as of now we have 3 agreed for the trip. Me, Bob Maskel & RayMacke.
Bruce mentioned interest.
I would like to see a Flotilla making this trip, so you guys come on and join us.

Return to “Gathering 2009”