River Run 2009 // Delta Queen

terrymc

Re: River Run 2009 // Delta Queen

Postby terrymc » Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:59 am

Guys,

Back 15 years ago I lived in Huntsville, and we boated on the Tennessee a LOT. I never made the Chatanooga run (there are 2 sets of locks between Ditto's Landing and Chatanooga), but I DO want to caution you - commercial traffic has priority on locks. Most days you can just pull up to the dam and lock through (make sure that somebody has a radio so you can talk to the lockmaster!) but you can also get some horrendus delays. We got stuck below Wheeler Dam one afternoon for 14 hours - ended up overnighting tied to a tree in a cove downstream from the dam - this was on our 20 ft cuddy with reasonable overhight accomdations so it wasn't too bad.

I don't think I'd do this run in an open runabout unless I talked with the lockmaster first and asked what the days commercial traffic looked like.

Peace,

TRM

Dwain the ski king

Postby Dwain the ski king » Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:05 pm

IF, the creek don't rise, I'll be there with the Ski King, and intend to make the river run...Probably have to take a tarp with me to keep dry!!!!!But that life...Hope to see ya soooooonnnnn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Dwain the Skiiiii Kiiiiiinnnngggg.........

kens

Postby kens » Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:50 am

Boy, thats great.
We up to 4 boats now.
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

upspirate

Postby upspirate » Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:10 am

Wish my family logistics allowed us/me to come along!! :(

terrymc

Postby terrymc » Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:36 pm

Just so y'all know, I'm VERY seriously considering bringing the jet squirt to the gathering. It's a long way from California, but the little boat is now enroute to my kids (and grandkids) lake house outside Columbus, Ohio. If I can con my daughter out of a tow vehicle, Antoinette and I may fly to Columbus, then tow the Squirt to Alabama.

I'm not sure I'm up to a 100 mile run is an 11 ft boat...if we had out 27 footer there it would be a no brainer to come along

Peace,

TRM

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:56 pm

Terrymc

I'd love to make the run. But, I can't commit this far out! An open Mahogany may be a little much also. Now, I use to be immortal and it would have been no problem!

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

kens

Postby kens » Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:25 pm

Bill, this years event is a little early as compared to prior events. This year is about 2weeks before November whereas the other events were last of Oct. so, hopefully it will be warm, I got a open boat too.
Misery loves company, so C'mon Bill and join us.
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

kens

Postby kens » Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:47 pm

I called the Queen, and they have tours of the boat daily @ 4:30. They tell of the history of Her and tour you on all spaces of the boat, engine rooms, play the Calliope, etc.
That is a very interesting thing for me.
I also now see the weblink:
http://www.deltaqueenhotel.com/events.html

upspirate

Postby upspirate » Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:05 am

Bill Edmundson wrote:Terrymc

I'd love to make the run. But, I can't commit this far out! An open Mahogany may be a little much also. Now, I use to be immortal and it would have been no problem!

Bill

Aww...you just got spooked by that big wake you encountered with Butch and Paula!!! :roll: :wink: :shock: :lol:

(Wish we had pics of that!!)

BruceDow

Postby BruceDow » Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:06 pm

So.... for several logistical reasons, I am wimping out from making the full river run in the Monaco

BUT... I have booked hotel rooms for the "Canadian Convoy" on the Delta Queen for Thursday night. (We'll just drive straight there)

Hopefully, we can meet up with the River Runners for a nice dinner and good company.

We'll drive to Guntersville on Friday morning.

Any other takers to this approach????
Bruce.

~~ Do what you love, and love what you do. ~~
~~ To me - only my boat is not yet perfect. Everybody else's is to be admired for I know the path they have walked (Dave Lott, 2010) ~~
Dow's Monaco Project

gaffrig24

Postby gaffrig24 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:32 pm

I'll probably be arriving on Thursday, but I'm afraid my boat would take a long time to get to Chattanooga from Guntersville. I'll just hang out in the deluxe accommodations aboard Whippoorwill Thursday night and wait for you to get back.
The klop, klop of water under the bows of a small boat will cure most troubles in this world.

upspirate

Postby upspirate » Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:00 am

gaffrig24 wrote:I'll probably be arriving on Thursday, but I'm afraid my boat would take a long time to get to Chattanooga from Guntersville. I'll just hang out in the deluxe accommodations aboard Whippoorwill Thursday night and wait for you to get back.

Don't drink all the rum and draft!! :wink: :roll:

Bob Maskel

Postby Bob Maskel » Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:51 am

kens wrote:After getting input from 2 other builders, we now have 3 boats making the Chattenooga run on the Thursday prior to Gathering. Some others did mention interest, and as of now we have 3 agreed for the trip. Me, Bob Maskel & RayMacke.
Dwain Colton Skiii Kiiing wrote:IF, the creek don't rise, I'll be there with the Ski King, and intend to make the river run...Probably have to take a tarp with me to keep dry!!!!!But that life...Hope to see ya soooooonnnnn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Dwain the Skiiiii Kiiiiiinnnngggg.........

The time is here...I will be leaving for beautiful downtown Guntersville tomorrow late morning, arriving sometime Monday late morning.

The weather looks good all week at this point except for the 20% chance of rain on Thursday. I plan on using the beginning of the week to roam downriver from Gville, returning to the park Wednesday, then making the Chattanooga run Thursday/Friday.

Ken, Ray, Dwain...what are your plans at this point????

I know we will be meeting the Canadian delegation at the Delta Queen Thursday afternoon...

Any other builders planning on coming along??

bob

upspirate

Postby upspirate » Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:54 am

Wish I could make it,but..... :cry: :(

Lewis Barrett

Postby Lewis Barrett » Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:29 am

I live about 1 hour from Chattanooga and if my son's football game is not rescheduled for Thursday, I may sneak away and check on the river rats and take a look at the Delta Queen.

David

Return to “Gathering 2009”