Videographer for Gathering

Gayle Brantuk

Videographer for Gathering

Postby Gayle Brantuk » Wed May 13, 2009 11:38 am

Kevin Brown was kind enough to recommend someone that he trusts to video the 2009 Gathering and I have been communicating with him. However, he is in Georgia so would require an overnight stay, long drive, etc. Does anyone have a recommendation for someone in Alabama that is closer to Lake Guntersville? We'll still do our own video too, but it would be nice to have someone do a professional video as well since my "skills" are limited :D

kens

Re: Videographer for Gathering

Postby kens » Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:30 pm

Is this the video that he took?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftBlIy3IWMk
:D :D
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

Oyster

Postby Oyster » Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:29 pm

kens wrote:Is this the video that he took?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftBlIy3IWMk
:D :D

I would think that Gayle would own the video and to release the video online would not be proper. That shows most all the boats in the cluster of boats that day including the boat that was highly decorated too with weekend warrior vertical stripes. :lol:

vupilot

Postby vupilot » Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:05 pm

I'm pretty certain that is video from the videographer Gayle hired.

Oyster

Postby Oyster » Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:33 pm

If you scroll over to the right it shows that the video is loaded by the same guy that did the video as if he has that as a promo link for his business.

Beautifully hand-crafted wooden boats built using plans from Glen-L Marine Designs, Bellflower, CA www.Glen-L.com. Shot at "The Gathering 2009" by Chris Dixon of Vineyard Productions www.vineyard...

Bob Maskel

Postby Bob Maskel » Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:26 pm

Oyster wrote:the video is loaded by the same guy that did the video

That's some good video...great shots of the boats in action. it will be fun to see what he comes up with for a final product and how long it is...he shot a lot over the weekend...

DeltaDawg

Postby DeltaDawg » Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:21 am

Nice video and good quality. I will be studying Bob's Sea Knight up on plane more. Bob would you guess your 100hp weighs 400 pounds? When I get my Sea Knight built I should plane a little further forward with 50hp at 240 pounds but I won't go as fast. Also nice to see Dwain and Ken that I am not the only one caught on film in a Get-together with my fenders out while underway; I am in good company now. :lol: Leland

Bob Maskel

Postby Bob Maskel » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:02 am

DeltaDawg wrote:Bob would you guess your 100hp weighs 400 pounds? When I get my Sea Knight built I should plane a little further forward with 50hp at 240 pounds but I won't go as fast. Leland

Hi DD..I believe the weight is somewhere in the 350-380 range if I recall correctly. I couldn't find the exact weight now, but when I bought it I looked it up somewhere. My SK is aft-heavy...I have the big motor on there, 2 batteries in the aft port compartment, a 6 gallon reserve tank aft stbd, and 2 18 gallon tanks butting up directly aft of the main cabin bulkhead, so it does sit a little low in the back. Also, I am not quite the svelte lad I once was :D so that adds a little too. The trim tabs really make up for all of that. I can trim it up how I want and by watching the fuel flow/chartplotter, I can really get it running as efficiently as possible with any load or fuel amount onboard.

bob

Bob Maskel

Postby Bob Maskel » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:08 am

Bob Maskel wrote: The trim tabs really make up for all of that. I can trim it up how I want

I should add I don't think that day on the water...at least in the videos...that I had spent much time trimming it up fore and aft. I did side to side as I had both John and Gayle in and I brought it up level that way but not front to back to level out the plane. Those tabs will really drive the nose down if you need to for planing attitude or in a chop.

DeltaDawg

Postby DeltaDawg » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:37 am

Thanks Bob. I may add trim tabs after I use her for now I consider it a challenge to dial into the design what I can for weight distribution. If my calcs are correct with the Yami F50TLR outboard I currently have the center of gravity at station 65 inches and the center of bouyancy at station 87 inches. As Bill stated in another post it would be ideal to have CG and CB on top of each other but its not going to happen unless I put a couple kegs (15-1/2 gallons at 8 pounds per gallon) for me and my 8 guests I worked on the extra seating for to enjoy after we are on the hook. Comming back the next day the guests would be crashed on the berths so we should be trim both directions. I am not young and trim anymore either. :roll:

Bob Maskel

Postby Bob Maskel » Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:01 pm

[quote="DeltaDawg"] If my calcs are correct with the Yami F50TLR outboard I currently have the center of gravity at station 65 inches and the center of bouyancy at station 87 inches. As Bill stated in another post it would be ideal to have CG and CB on top of each other [quote]

Haaaa, calculations...ah yes... :D :D That part is where I had no real clue when I started the boat. When I found the motor and decided on tanks and their location I emailed Glen-L and asked if the boat would handle them...they said yes, so I put 'em on. I did figure it was going to be a little heavy in the back, so my water tank is a 15 gallon, right up under the berths that I try to keep mostly full, so that helps a bit. I really had no idea about calculating weight distribution so I put things where the plans said, added my batteries and gas tanks and all the extra stuff, and hoped for the best! All in all, for a guy that had no idea what he was doing when I started, it worked out OK. For my Malahini however, I am going to try and make sure there is some rhyme or reason to what I am putting where, rather than my 'best guess'! Looking back, when I realize how little I actually knew about all this when I started, I am amazed that the boat turned out at all. I'm quite sure I'll be asking calculation questions in the not-too-distant-future! :idea:

DeltaDawg

Postby DeltaDawg » Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:50 pm

Bob, your SeaKnight turned out beautiful. Your pictures under customer photos is why I bought the plans and frame kit. I would be honored to have you join us at the Rendezvous but at 1500 miles and 8 miles/gallon to tow and $3/gallon that would be $570 each way Minneapolis to Sacramento.
I would be honored to help with calcs on your Malani anytime. Leland :D

upspirate

Postby upspirate » Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:33 pm

Dawg, his Sea Knight looks every bit as good in person if not better!! :wink:

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:52 pm

I just got a chance to watch with a good net connection! God that was fun out there! :D

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

BulldogBoater

Postby BulldogBoater » Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:08 pm

Kind of makes me wish next year's wasn't so far away!

Thanks to KenS for offering such a "stable platform" for the videographer.

If this video doesn't get prospective builders fired up, then I don't think anything could.

Thanks to all for a memorable weekend.

KB
"I'm not trying to get it perfect. I'm trying to get it finished!"
www.tubbytug.com

Return to “Gathering 2009”