Food - Let's talk about food HERE

BulldogBoater

Re: Food - Let's talk about food HERE

Post by BulldogBoater » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:41 pm

Oyster wrote:
In Florida you have a place that truely insults the name BBQ and thats Sonny's
Don't let the Space Coast location fool you. I feel Sonny's is an insult to BBQ also.

I moved here 6 months ago for a job assignment. Born and raised in Georgia. I like the idea of different BBQ styles from all over at the Gathering. I've traveled all over the U.S. and found there are many different regional interpretations that I enjoy.

I might be able to bring some of our old family recipe BBQ. We cook a pig over a pit for 12 hours every Labor Day - could freeze some leftovers and bring it. Even if I can't, I will bring our family recipe hush puppy batter that will quite possibly be the best hush puppies you ever had - and then let you mess them up by eating them with BBQ :lol:

How bout some Muscadine wine to wash it down?

KB
"I'm not trying to get it perfect. I'm trying to get it finished!"
Strip Planked Skiff, Jet Squirt, 2 Tubby Tugs, Console Skiff, Modified Kingfisher (Last One #6)

Oyster

Post by Oyster » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:04 pm

How bout some Muscadine wine to wash it down?
Actually I am a genuine sweet tea kind of guy.
But you Georgia boys should never admit to immitation refreshments made from wine. Thats another area that has been fine tuned by the Georgia guys. Having the luxuary of some good corn and peaches too down that way,,,,,,,, I have only heard tall tales though about that though. :wink:
For a change of pace, we make hush puppies with a hint of onions too. The best place I have found those is actually in St. Augustine at O'Steens long ago.
We really enjoy pig pickings and actually have done numerous cook offs where forty or so guys get together for community benefits for a fine time over a weekend time frame.

kens

Post by kens » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:56 pm

This is getting exciting now.
Do I read somewhat of a boasting of different BBQ as well as different Hush Puppies?

Boat or not, I'll be there just for the food :D :) :lol:
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

upspirate

Post by upspirate » Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:02 pm

Well,we've had gumbo contests and chili contests,so this year it may well be a BBQ & hush puppy contest!

I know who'll win!!! :wink:

(hint: all of us!!!) :D

Oyster

Post by Oyster » Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:32 pm

kens wrote:This is getting exciting now.
Do I read somewhat of a boasting of different BBQ as well as different Hush Puppies?

Boat or not, I'll be there just for the food :D :) :lol:
No, there is only one kind of BBQ and thats not Boar's Head pork from Georgia. :P :lol: 8) The only decent Hush Puppies I have even known of in Georgia too is sold at those mill outlet stores along Hwy 95. :wink: :twisted: :lol:

kens

Post by kens » Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:06 am

Should I bring the beer again this year also?
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

upspirate

Post by upspirate » Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:08 am

If you don't mind, Ken,sure!!!

I'll chip in to help with cost of that again.

Warren :wink: :mrgreen:

Oyster

Post by Oyster » Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:14 am

Wow, I have been fired from my job of Beverage Coordinator. Gee I get no respect..... :( :)

upspirate

Post by upspirate » Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:21 am

Ken and I have the same taste in beers!!!LOL :wink: :lol: :shock:

Oyster

Post by Oyster » Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:53 am

Everything is cool! If anyone has ever drank beer from Canada, in Canada, all American beer falls short. There are some really good ales up that way. I will not mention any for fear of missing many though.

Oyster

Post by Oyster » Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:01 am

Talking about food, I am killing time between dealing with food. we do a lot of canning. This morning over coffee and computer, Figs are the order of the morning. If some of you guys are not familiar with them, they grow on decent size trees and are a limited type of fruit thats avaliable only a month of a year upon ripening. We can them like all of the other jams and is my favorite treat when the winter season is upon us, 40 degrees on average in most case. :twisted: :P :lol:

For you eye candy folks and for the youths here that are not aware of the old timey process, this is the assembly line. You boil the jars and boil the blended fruit together and heat to boiling temps in a big tube and then let cool. This creates a vacumned sealed jar. We use Mason jars for several items around this area of the country.

upspirate

Post by upspirate » Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:32 am

Sweet tea glasses for one use!! :wink:

Oyster

Post by Oyster » Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:48 am

upspirate wrote:Sweet tea glasses for one use!! :wink:
Well yes indeed, you might say that there some folks do use a lot of sugar in their "tea". :lol:

kens

Post by kens » Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:47 am

Oyster wrote:Wow, I have been fired from my job of Beverage Coordinator. Gee I get no respect..... :( :)
No, not fired.
I just brought beer last year and the logistics of it worked fine.
Bring your own favorite beveradge as well :D

Oyster

Post by Oyster » Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:20 pm

Everything is cool, just razzing. Many hands make for small work, or so it goes. I had posted a request from folks on what beverages were the order of the day in my original couple of posts as this is my freshman year.

Carry on and don't mind me at all in many of these discussions. I am not always a rational person. I am a multi=boat owner you know. :lol:

Return to “Gathering 2009”