Boat Cards

Bob Maskel

Boat Cards

Postby Bob Maskel » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:48 pm

Last year when Dave Grason and I went to Chattanooga, we met these nice folks from Wisconsin in a great big Sea Ray that were making the Great Loop. Dave wrote about meeting them in his webletter article...anyway, they had "boat cards" ... business cards that had a picture of their boat on one side and their name and contact info on the other. Dave thought it might be a fun idea to have at the Gathering to give out to people...since if you are like me I remember boats, and I remember people, but I can't often put the two together. I just did a search for business cards and happened on this site...you can upload a photo and have it on the card as well as text on the back. I just ordered a bunch for about 25 bucks. I am not endorsing this company, haven't seen their work or know anything about them other than they let you upload your own photo for the card. Their "slow" shipping is 21 days but of course for a few extra dollars you can get them faster. I am sure there are a number of sites that let you do this, I am just passing on the info and the idea reminder for those interested.

http://www.vistaprint.com/premium-busin ... ?pg=1&rd=2

gaffrig24

Re: Boat Cards

Postby gaffrig24 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:36 am

I've used them for calendars for our boat club and they do a great job. Another option is to print them up on your computer yourself
The klop, klop of water under the bows of a small boat will cure most troubles in this world.

Dave Grason

Re: Boat Cards

Postby Dave Grason » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:37 pm

Bob Maskel wrote:....we met these nice folks from Wisconsin in a great big Sea Ray that were making the Great Loop. Dave wrote about meeting them in his webletter article...anyway, they had "boat cards" ...

Their names were Tim and Jan Kraus. I still have that boat card. Man, I can't believe it's been almost a year now.

Yeah, I still think the boat card idea is a very good one. I for one am printing up some for my (unfinished) Zip. One problem for me personally has been that I know so many from their interet forum nicks but not by face or real names. After last year's Gathering, I got several PMs from folks asking me why I didn't show up at the Gathering when I actually HAD shown up. We had simply missed each other in the crowd and area. So I'm thinking the boat cards can eliminate this problem.

Haha, I just remembered this. Last year this guy from SoCal named Denzel showed up. He was really nice and we just clicked really well. I could tell he certainly had built his own boat because of the way he described the process. It wasn't untill I got back home that I actually made the connection with his being "Soloboat." That would explain why he laughed when, while standing next to him I asked: "Has anyone seen Soloboat?" This is a prob that can be eliminated by those cards. Oh YEAH.
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

Return to “Gathering 2009”