Meet Allyn Perry, Former Glen-L Shop Foreman at Gathering

Gayle Brantuk

Meet Allyn Perry, Former Glen-L Shop Foreman at Gathering

Postby Gayle Brantuk » Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:13 pm

In our email about the Gathering, we announced that Allyn Perry will be coming with us to this year's Gathering, but many of you may have missed that.

Allyn was the Shop Foreman here at Glen-L for about 30 years. Allyn used to build all of our frame kits and built all of our test models. Over the years, Al has built the following boats to the best of my memory:

Stiletto
Amigo Frame Kit custom-built for the NCIS TV show
Amp Eater
Bingo
Bull's-Eye
Console Skiff
Can-Yak
Dinky
Electric Drive
Electric Trolling Mount
Fold Up
Glass Bottom
Ke-Pau
Kid-Row
Kidyak
Lo Voltage
Pedal-It
Picklefork
Power Skiff
Poweryak
RC Model
Rob Roy
Sculling Skiff
Sea Kayak
Tiny Titan
Tubby Tug
Wild Thing
XP-8

So, he has a tremendous amount of experience! And, he will be there to answer questions and talk "boat building". Allyn is also featured in all of our DVD's. And helped Glen with the development of many designs over the years. We usually have a boat in the front office and people would frequently ask if the boat was a fiberglass boat. They never were, but Allyn did such fine finish & fiberglass covering work, they were so smooth and straight. He is an excellent craftsman.

If you're on the fence about coming to the Gathering this year, jump on over! We can't guarantee he'll ever be at an event again, so this may be your only chance to meet him. Oh, he's really nice too!

And, John and I will be there too and really look forward to meeting all of you!

upspirate

Re: Meet Allyn Perry, Former Glen-L Shop Foreman at Gathering

Postby upspirate » Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:26 pm

Gayle,just a thought....I know you guys(John,Allyn,yourself) are flying in and have limited space, But do you think you could bring some sort of photo album that has shots through years?

You know, boats,shop pics,behind the scenes,history etc?

This might be kinda neat to look at fri and sat night.

If on a dvd,or cd,we could bring a laptop to view

Oyster

Postby Oyster » Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:10 pm

Wow, thats quite an addition and an quite an asset for a better than average get together of a bunch of boat folks messing about in their boats for sure. But another guy that builds slick finished boats? I guess this just confirms my previously held thoughts that I may only bring mine out after dusk for sure :twisted: :oops:

BayouBengal

Postby BayouBengal » Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:32 pm

If you're on the fence about coming to the Gathering this year, jump on over!

Wow! To be able to talk with a guy who has this much experience with wooden boats; well, that's a tremendous opportunity. You've got me leaning.

Gayle Brantuk

Postby Gayle Brantuk » Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:04 pm

Great idea Warren about a photo album--I'll get something together...

Bob Maskel

Postby Bob Maskel » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:23 pm

Oyster wrote:I guess this just confirms my previously held thoughts that I may only bring mine out after dusk for sure

Yup....gave me a new reason why I didn't get some of the detail work done that I didn't have done at last year's Gathering...or the year before's....it isn't that I just never got to it...nooooo...I was waitin' for an opinion from Allyn on how I should do it....yeahhhhh, that's it, that's what I was waitin' for!!! :P

Dave Grason

Postby Dave Grason » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:47 pm

Just out of curiosity, what kind of boat does Allyn himself have?
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

kens

Postby kens » Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:50 pm

Geez, do you think he could put a cabin on a Double Eagle? I could even help him with that. :D :lol:
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

Gayle Brantuk

Postby Gayle Brantuk » Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:35 pm

Dave, I don't believe Allyn has a boat of his own now. He first built the Stiletto before he even came to work for Glen-L. He used to water ski a lot, but he's changed hobbies over the years... gliding for a while, motorcycles have been most recent. Hmmm, maybe we need to encourage him to build one for himself!

Dave Grason

Postby Dave Grason » Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:37 pm

....and document the build on the Glen-L website. That would be very cool.
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

Return to “Gathering 2009”