The Hi Speed Submarine from Toronnto

thudpucker

The Hi Speed Submarine from Toronnto

Postby thudpucker » Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:57 am

:lol: I didn't get a picture of the Pilot, but he got some dry clothes, and then talked Mom into a trip to town for some new shoes.
Fortunately he was the only one that found a hole in the water.
His dad discovered the value of Drain holes in that little Water spider. :roll:

upspirate

Re: The Hi Speed Submarine from Toronnto

Postby upspirate » Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:06 am

More pics when he came in:
Attachments
IMG_0004.JPG
IMG_0003.JPG
IMG_0002.JPG
IMG_0001.JPG

vupilot

Postby vupilot » Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:44 am

Great pics, I did not see it on the water.

Thanks

upspirate

Postby upspirate » Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:50 am

It was too rough at the main area....they launched at the cabin ramp.

thudpucker

Postby thudpucker » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:39 am

That was a great little kid. Good family completely.

AaronStJ

Postby AaronStJ » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:10 am

Ok, I feel like those of us who missed the gathering are missing out on a good story here. Anyone care to tell it?

Oyster

Postby Oyster » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:17 am

The waters were pretty rough most of the day. There was a small launching area in a secluded cove which led out into the open lake area with the wind coming right down the chute and where he ran the boat. I attempted to get in the water before hand to take some shots but had some issues with keys to the cabin and left while waiting. So I know of no shots while underway that I know of right now. Maybe when they get home and get online there will be some.

When I returned he was taking out after getting water over the hull while on plane. He ended up swimming inside the seating area and had to go in town to get some dry shoes and assundrie of warmer clothes. Great family for sure! His brother I am sure was laughing inside while standing ashore, knowing sibling rivalry.

thudpucker

Postby thudpucker » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:45 am

Here's a version with just a wee bit of literary license.

I went to a Glen-L wooden boat gathering this weekend.
A couple with two teenage boys came down to Alabama from Ontario. Long drive that!

One Boy was a precocious athlete. Ready for anything at the drop of a hat.
He had no time for instructions or warnings, just "push me off and let me start having fun!"

This little Hydroplane was built for the Precocious one. Dad put almost two years into it. It was a beautiful job too.
The only thing he didn't do was make Drain holes in it. He found that out the hard way. You cant bail them things either. There aint hardly any room in that little cockpit.

So, on this blustery windy day, Nimrod sets forth...at full speed. The water at the launch was sheltered. Flat water gives one confidence.
He was probably skipping along about 45 Mph when he rounded the point he ran into swells.
No problem for Nimrod, he just gave it full throttle and skipped along on the tops.
The further out into the wind he went, the worse the wind was affecting the waves.
Soon the boat began to BOUNCE badly. It was airborne between the tops. A real kidney pounder. So he slowed down a bit. :)

By the time he realized his mistake it was too late. He'd dived off the top of one swell and plunged straight into one of those swells. Completely skipped over a hole in the water, Hee hee hee!

Whoosh!!! The water went right up over the bow, right up his chest and over his head. It filled the little boat. Somehow it stayed afloat about to his waist. Probably the motor cause the boat to sag to the rear, and the air up under the bow acted like flotation.
You'll see in the pictures how he looked when he made it back to the ramp.

There was only one other boat there to help him. It was a small sailboat. Nimrod was paddling faster than the Sailboat could go.

He had a Manually operated Bilge pump (Bailing bucket) on board and the 'Green compatible, Alternate source of propulsion' on board (Oar) so this poor sopping wet and thoroughly chilled Nimrod had to bring that thing back a quarter mile by paddle.
That boy was tough. He was shivering but still in good spirits. Except when his eyes met Dad's!

Mom got him into the Car and whisked him back to the camper and some dry clothes. His shoes wouldn't dry so the highlight of the day was a trip to WalMart for some new Tennis shoes. He wasn't too keen on the white laces, but what the heck. Any port in a storm.
Dick

leakcheck

Postby leakcheck » Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:40 pm

You just never know when it will be your time to become: LEGEND !

:lol: :lol: :lol:

That was great!

Steve

Iggy

Postby Iggy » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:12 pm

25 years ago that would have been me.. for sure.

I bet that little boat is deceptively quick... and tons of fun ;)
Ian (aka Iggy)
My Malahini Build

upspirate

Postby upspirate » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:16 pm

He also got an award that night at the ceremonies.

Great young ones and wonderful parents! :) :wink:

BruceDow

Postby BruceDow » Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:00 pm

Colin won the "Wet 'n Wild" award :) for obvious reasons.
Bruce.

~~ Do what you love, and love what you do. ~~
~~ To me - only my boat is not yet perfect. Everybody else's is to be admired for I know the path they have walked (Dave Lott, 2010) ~~
Dow's Monaco Project

BruceDow

Postby BruceDow » Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:17 pm

I will add to the legend.... We'll have to get his dad to tell the full story, but ... on his sea trial day, Colin was followed home by the Ontario Provincial Police Marine Unit who had clocked him going somewhere in the mid-high twenties.

Anyone else here had a speeding ticket in their boat?

Yay Colin!!!!

(Mark... do you have any pictures or videos of Colin and the Super Spartan at speed? Did you get pictures of the officers?)
Bruce.

~~ Do what you love, and love what you do. ~~
~~ To me - only my boat is not yet perfect. Everybody else's is to be admired for I know the path they have walked (Dave Lott, 2010) ~~
Dow's Monaco Project

Return to “Gathering 2009”