Thanks to all!

kcooper

Thanks to all!

Postby kcooper » Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:53 pm

What a wonderful weekend with some very special people! I appreciate all those who worked so hard to make the Gathering possible. After having been there last year for just Saturday morning and afternoon, it was great to experience the "whole deal" this year. Looking forward to 2010!

Kenny Cooper

Mark Chadwick

Re: Thanks to all!

Postby Mark Chadwick » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:14 am

Hi Everyone

I just wanted to express our thanks to everyone at The Gathering for your hospitality, friendship and individual contributions to make this a wonderful event. From the boat discussions, to the food & drink, some good natured teasing, the music and of course, the chance to see so many wonderful boats in one place made this past weekend for us, a truly special time.

On behalf of my wife Lori, and myself, Thank You!

Mark Chadwick

Dave Grason

Postby Dave Grason » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:20 pm

Yes, I had a good time as well.

I've been to all 3 Gatherings so far and I've thoroughly enjoyed each one but this one by far out distanced the first 2. It just keeps getting better and better.
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

upspirate

Postby upspirate » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:23 pm

The hands on workshop was new!!! :wink:

Oyster

Postby Oyster » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:26 pm

Mark Chadwick wrote:Hi Everyone

I just wanted to express our thanks to everyone at The Gathering for your hospitality, friendship and individual contributions to make this a wonderful event. From the boat discussions, to the food & drink, some good natured teasing, the music and of course, the chance to see so many wonderful boats in one place made this past weekend for us, a truly special time.

On behalf of my wife Lori, and myself, Thank You!

Mark Chadwick

Likewise,,,, I also found it refreshing that so many wonderfull ladies attended what is normally a bunch of meatheads :P Most if not all were in the front of the line when it came to the festivities and fun, sharing stories and banter with a lot of humor and for sure smiles that made the interactions better too. In so many of these types of gatherings across the spectrum this has been lacking. Even the kids was well represented and well behaved, or at least the young kids were. :P I felt kinda bad for Dave G when the supposed adults attempted to make his boat a large firepit though. :P Shame, for shame. :lol: He had worked some hard on his boat this year to get it ready.

switherington

Postby switherington » Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:35 pm

You wouldn't believe how nervous I was before the Gathering about running my boat (Mahlahini). I'd only run it once before and it wasn't pretty. It wouldn't plane out and I broke the motor. so this trip was the first since I made adjustments. Nervous doesn't begin to describe what I was feeling. But when Brenda and I drove up, Dave Grayson stopped what he was doing (working on his boat) and walked down to welcome us. He had some kind words about the boat and made us feel at home from the very beginning. Thanks Dave, you don't know how much that meant to me. :wink:
Eating an elephant is best done one bite at a time.

BruceDow

Postby BruceDow » Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:39 pm

Sam... We had no clue that the Malahini was a "new" boat. Congratulations on a great ride.

In addition to all the wives and kids, It was also cool to have a few more "Moms and Dads" there. My dad (Brian) enjoyed meeting Gary's dad (Eddy) and Dave's dad (John) (sorry if my feeble memory missed any others)
Bruce.

~~ Do what you love, and love what you do. ~~
~~ To me - only my boat is not yet perfect. Everybody else's is to be admired for I know the path they have walked (Dave Lott, 2010) ~~
Dow's Monaco Project

upspirate

Postby upspirate » Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:47 pm

Others have had issues in the past too.

That's what shakedown splashes are all about.

Last year Bruce had engine/trans problems,I had too small a boat for the water and the motor wouldn't idle right cause of altitude difference I'm sure.

Kens hit the dock(sorry Kens),Bill Yonescu had a strange noise & didn't put in the water.

That's why they are sea trials.

Your boat looked great BTW,what happened to it on the first outing, and did it work well this time?

switherington

Postby switherington » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:47 pm

Our first time out was a fiasco! We loaded up the wife, three kids, the kid's friends, tubes, skis, wakeboards and went to the lake. Put in, took pictures...looked great! My two boys and I went out for the inaugural run. Idled out, putted around, everything looked good (no leaks) so I hit it hard. Mahlahini shot out of the water like a rocket. She slammed the water three times...hard. The third time she hit something in the motor broke. I later found out the oil tank level sensor broke on impact. The motor thought there wasn't any oil in the tank and would only run on one cylinder. Just enough to get us back to the dock to a waiting hord of people that weren't going boating that day. I struck out with the bases loaded :(

Sam

upspirate

Postby upspirate » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:55 pm

That wasn't so bad to fix though.

What size engine and what performance do you get?

Or maybe you should post that in the speed & performance threads as people are always asking about what size engine for the Malahini.

what shaft length too.

switherington

Postby switherington » Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:15 pm

You're right. Not too bad a fix. I cut down the transome a bit, put some wedges between the motor and transome and moved the fuel tank to the bow. She's got a 60 HP motor. She did 30 mph@4600 RPM. I may be able to change prop pitch to get more speed. Thoughts?

Dave Grason

Postby Dave Grason » Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:21 pm

switherington wrote: But when Brenda and I drove up, Dave Grayson stopped what he was doing (working on his boat) and walked down to welcome us.

I wasn't actually working on my boat....... everyone else was. :lol:

Sam took me for a ride on his Malahini too. VERY nice riding boat. The Malahini is the perfect big brother to the Zip. So any of you Zip builders out there, once you get your boats to the water and decide you'd like just a little more room, the Malahini is IT!
Last edited by Dave Grason on Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

switherington

Postby switherington » Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:23 pm

Oh, that's right! You got the Tom Sawyer award. :lol:

switherington

Postby switherington » Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:27 pm

Thanks, Bruce! Gemma is wonderful! Don't let southerners give you too much grief about your shorts. My wife and I lived in upstate NY. I understand. 50 degrees is down right balmy when you're used to 50 below! :lol:

Sam

upspirate

Postby upspirate » Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:43 pm

switherington wrote:You're right. Not too bad a fix. I cut down the transome a bit, put some wedges between the motor and transome and moved the fuel tank to the bow. She's got a 60 HP motor. She did 30 mph@4600 RPM. I may be able to change prop pitch to get more speed. Thoughts?

Is that wide open? If so,not sure what your motors max RPM is,but with medium load it should be in the middle of RPM range(or light at the top,heavy at the bottom etc).

In other words,if your range is 5300-5800(old Merc range there),with just you and light fuel,it should be around 5800.

With full fuel,people, cooler, skiing, etc, it should be around 5300

To bring RPM up,go down in pitch

You should run in the range to get full power out of the motor,and to increase longevity.

Too low RPM puts a stain on it

Return to “Gathering 2009”