Sorry I missed the meeting this year

Jimmy70

Sorry I missed the meeting this year

Postby Jimmy70 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:40 am

Well I had to make a last minute decision of what to do as I have dumped a ton of money in this boat and got more to spend as of yet. The 3-4 days would have cost me $500 in spending money so I decided to save that as I need a hydraulic pump system for my Mercury I got for this boat I am building now. It has the rams on the engine but I need to acquire a pump and hoses and what ever it takes to make it go up and down. So I sure hope that I can make the next one and bring a new boat and enjoy the crowd.
Jimmy
Dreams are free, Reality cost money.

DaveLott

Re: Sorry I missed the meeting this year

Postby DaveLott » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:48 am

Jimmy - Then next year. Was hoping to meet you and get have some of your inspiration wear off.

Was wondering about you this morning for have not seen a post in a while.

Where do you stand now with the build

dave
Dave

Riviera build - the Midnight Cry Project
Glen-L Sea Kayak
Mahalo Standup Paddleboard

Video of Midnight in Action

Few things in the world measure up to the thrill and satisfaction of boating in a boat that you built.

upspirate

Postby upspirate » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:54 am

We missed you...post more pics!!

upspirate

Postby upspirate » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:57 am

Trim pumps come up a lot on E-bay and craigs list,hoses can be bought new at west marine or other places,and I would suggest a switch that attaches to the wheel so you don't have to take hands off to trim down in a situation.

If you don't have a manual,I probably can scan trim pages and get them to you for wiring etc

upspirate

Postby upspirate » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:59 am

Is yours the system with cylinders on the out side of the clamp bracket?

Jimmy70

Postby Jimmy70 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:42 am

Right now I have the boat turned upside down and I installed some 1/4 round strips were the sponsons meet the bottom of the boat. Then I had to do some filleting of those to fill them in good to get a good transition form the sides to the bottom for the fiberglass to sit on decently. I just cut a 7'x 50" piece of fiberglass this morning and installed it on the starboard sponson front. I had to do a lot of hacking and cutting to make it fit half decent but I know now that I will not do the rest of the boat like that. I will only cut the pieces and bring them to the sharp edge of the sponson and down about 3" on the verticle as with compound curves it makes the glass want to not spread out flat and bunches up in places. I cut most of the bunchy places on a diagonal and just overlaped them and that seemed to work okay but sure messy doing that.

Yes those cylinders are on the outside like you mentioned and anything that you can do to help me out on that would be great. I do have the control box with the handle switchs and 3 wires that came out of it for the solnoids I suppose or to make the pump run in forward or reverse depending how the lash up goes. The engine is a 1978 115hp inline 6 Mercury if that helps out any. It also has a switch for raising the engine too.

I had to push the boat outside so that I could sand down the 6" glass I put on the edges and had to crawl into my bunny suit to do this. Those damn things get hot in the sun too but worth the effort to keep that damn dust of my body. I got a real bad rash from it when I done my Yellow boat and learnt a lesson the hard way.
I will post some photos soon as I get them on photobucket and can download them here.
Jimmy

upspirate

Postby upspirate » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:48 am

I will work on copying the pages that pertain.

I highly recommend using a wheel mounted switch in your application

upspirate

Postby upspirate » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:51 am

either of these are the type I recommend:

http://www.cpperformance.com/products/C ... itches.htm

Jimmy70

Postby Jimmy70 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:53 am

Okay I will take a look around and see if I can find a wheel with a trim setup on it or can you buy seperate units to hook on to the wheel?? I know this guy in the area here and he more than likely has some in his shop as he has a ton of stuff around..
Ok I am going to post a couple shots back in the forum area were I had the other stuff going so not to use this space all up.
Jimmy
PS I gotta say you are a quick poster upspirate. :lol:

Gary McCusker

Postby Gary McCusker » Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:59 pm

Good to hear from You Jimmy. You missed a good and We missed some of Your "ONE LINERS". You got some good ones. Hope all else is well w/ YA! McCusker

Oyster

Postby Oyster » Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:15 pm

Sorry you could not make it this year. But we have all winter to build and even boat if we wish, unlike some of the other guys which was the last time on the water for a while. :twisted: :wink: Of course we could always provide some nice shots of sunsets from the water's edge you know for the guys. Unlike snow scenes, every single sunrise and sunset is different, especially the colors of the winter evening clouds. 8)

upspirate

Postby upspirate » Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:23 pm

Last night after kayaking:
Attachments
Sunset Beach 2.jpg
Sunset Beach 1.jpg

Return to “Gathering 2009”