Trip Report - Gathering 2009

Mr Hot Rod

Re: Trip Report - Gathering 2009

Postby Mr Hot Rod » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:14 pm

Bruce,

I thought you'd notice the paddle and dock bumper ... The paddle must have invisible velcro on the handle because it never seems to move, even through rough water and turns ! We'll have to settle up on the boating accessories later ... BTW I shipped your CARE package this afternoon.

As for performance data, it seems to be following our infamous Speed Table.

- Lots of torque on tap
- No cavitation on acceleration and turns
- Hydraulic tilt steering locks in when you let go of the wheel, 3 turns lock to lock, zero torque steer
- Tracks straight at all speeds
- Carries the bow well
- It's a very short boat !

With 12% overdrive, we've got :

30 MPH @ 2000 RPM, 0% slip
    41 MPH @ 3000 RPM, 9% slip
    50 MPH @ 4000 RPM, 20% slip (added 17-NOV-2009)
    WOT unknown, engine and driveline are not fully broken in. Should be 5800-6000 RPM. (added 26-DEC-2009)

Speeds are GPS. propeller is a cupped 12 x 15p 3 blade Nibral. At 4000 RPM the Gibson transom outlets start blaring and the scenery gets a little blurry. No time to be looking at gauges ! We haven't tried the 11-1/2 x 15p Menkens forged steel propeller which was to be used on the original 283. We're slowly working our way up the RPM range. I'm not too concerned about the engine as it's pretty solid. More concerned with stability and steering at speed. No idea what it's going to deliver when it's fully broken in !

Comp Cams CamQuest simulation software estimates 302 HP @ 4500 RPM and 424 ftlbs of torque @ 2000 RPM. We swapped the 350 heads, marine cam, aluminum intake manifold and 600 CFM Holley carb from the 283 to the 355 block so our parts are not optimized for the bigger block. Colin wants his block back, but I think I'll coerce him into tweaking it until the 283 is up and running again :P

Too bad it's the end of boating season. I'm really looking forward to getting this boat dialed in ! Oh well, the snowmobile season is just around the corner ...

Building the Glen-L Hot Rod : http://www.boats.chelseacoachworks.com
Last edited by Mr Hot Rod on Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

kens

Postby kens » Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:44 pm

Paul:
I didnt realize our boats have so much in common:
We each have the one and only 'first splash' pics, :D
And each of us are running on outboard tanks. :shock:
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

Mr Hot Rod

Postby Mr Hot Rod » Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:15 pm

Kens:
'First spash'ing at the Gathering really made it special ! Having Gayle at the helm was an honour !

Since my retirement in September, I was fevereshly working full time on the boat to get it ready and test-run before the Gathering, but the punch list just kept getting longer the more we worked on it. Up here, our boating season was coming to a close. I couldn't rationalize spending the money on custom aluminum tanks for one or two outings so we upgraded the bungee cords we used to retain the outboard tank for the engine startup to ratchet straps. Another item off the list !

As I recall, you wrenched on your boat right up to the launch, had a bunch of people pitch in to tie up the loose ends, dropped it in the water and ran it like you stole it as soon as you cleared the docks. Barry and I will remember that launch for a while !

Dave Grason

Postby Dave Grason » Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:19 pm

kens wrote:Paul:
I didnt realize our boats have so much in common:
We each have the one and only 'first splash' pics, :D
And each of us are running on outboard tanks. :shock:

One's from India and the other from Indiana. That's a WHOLE lot in common. :lol:

Just kidding. I'm just messin with ya. :wink:
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

Mr Hot Rod

Postby Mr Hot Rod » Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:31 pm

I think we just found next year's 'first splash'er ...

Dave ?

kens

Postby kens » Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:37 pm

"and ran it like you stole it as soon as you cleared the docks"..............
ummmm....isn't that Gayle at the helm of yours ?? The pic clearly shows Gayle at the helm with the bottom drying off!! :lol:
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

Bruce T.

Postby Bruce T. » Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:29 am

I just got back from vacation and was excited to see the reports from the Gathering. As usual, it looks like a great time with great people. Maybe I'll make it there one day but it seems I'm not as dedicated (ie. crazy) as some of my fellow Canadains. It seems a bit far to drive pulling my boat with my minivan. Maybe someday.........

Paul, I was very happy to see your boat in the water. Congrats!! The videos are great. She looks like quite a handfull, which is what I expected. More speed and power than I would be willing to handle.

My boat is tucked away for the winter. Now I have a few months to figure out what's wrong with my new carburator (more on that in another post).

Bruce.
18' custom mahogany runabout - built with the help of the Glen-L forum

Mr Hot Rod

Postby Mr Hot Rod » Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:25 pm

Bruce, thank you for the kind words. You'll have to make plans to attend next year's Gathering. Well worth the trip !

We just got back from another run on the Ottawa River. My boatbuilding addiction has been replaced with a newer, more powerful addiction : Boating ! Our Chief Mechanic Colin was along for the ride. Beautiful rumble/whine at 50 MPH / 4000 RPM. Boat is very stable and we still have lots of pedal to go ! If the weather holds, we may swap in that Menkens 2 blade forged steel propeller ...

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:40 pm

Paul

Polish that prop out and put some wax on it! I want to know what that damn boat will do!

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Mr Hot Rod

Postby Mr Hot Rod » Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:01 pm

Suspense is killing you, Eh ?? :lol: :lol:

Colin wanted to swap in the 2 blade for this run but I wanted to see what the 3 blade will do. Slip numbers are high enough so I guess we'll move on to the good prop. Only place we found smooth water was in a marina no-wake zone sheltered by a 2 mile long island. No-wake signs have been taken down and all the boats are in storage so I guess it's OK to let her rip !

DaveLott

Postby DaveLott » Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:08 pm

Mr Hot Rod wrote: . My boatbuilding addiction has been replaced with a newer, more powerful addiction : Boating !

Paul - Unfortunately, you will have to hold you new addiction at bay for a while. We all need to see the finished product so the boatbuilding addiction has to come back - at least for a while. :lol:

Looking forward to see that puppy run.

dave
Dave

Riviera build - the Midnight Cry Project
Glen-L Sea Kayak
Mahalo Standup Paddleboard

Video of Midnight in Action

Few things in the world measure up to the thrill and satisfaction of boating in a boat that you built.

Return to “Gathering 2009”