River Run 2011/ Chattenooga/ Mini Gathering/ G5

darthplywood

Re: River Run 2011/ Chattenooga/ Mini Gathering/ G5

Postby darthplywood » Sat May 28, 2011 3:44 am

it doesnt look like my boat will be done by my original "finish" date that I had in mind (June 19th).....but it should DEFINITLY be done for the Gathering (and by definiitly i mean....i really..really hope so).
Attachments
sea knight.jpg
Built the 17' Glen-L "Sea Knight"
yet to come...11' Glen-L "Utility"

DaveLott

Postby DaveLott » Sat May 28, 2011 4:19 am

Well, if your workers would quit laying down on the job you just might get it done.
Dave

Riviera build - the Midnight Cry Project
Glen-L Sea Kayak
Mahalo Standup Paddleboard

Video of Midnight in Action

Few things in the world measure up to the thrill and satisfaction of boating in a boat that you built.

tsmitherman

Postby tsmitherman » Sat May 28, 2011 5:50 am

I'm gonna get a head start on ya'll speed-boaters. We are trailering the tug to Scottsboro, AL on Monday, for a Chattanooga run.

The plan is to go to Hales Bar on Tue., Island Cove Marina (N. of Chickamauga Lock) on Wed, then turn around, stay at the dock in downtown Chattanooga on Thur., then back to Hales Bar Fri., and finish back in Scottsboro on Sat afternoon.

Grand-daughter Abby will be with us, and after this trip Glenda and I have 2 weeks before the Maryland grand-kids arrive for the summer. We may do another trip during that time, since we've never done an overnight trip without a grand-child.
Tom
------------------------------
36' 1969 Willard Aft-Pilothouse Trawler
Blog: www.genesisboat.blogspot.com

Knot-So-Fast (BoJest) SOLD

"It's amazing what one can do when one doesn't know what one can't do." - Garfield

raymacke

Postby raymacke » Sat May 28, 2011 6:30 am

It looks like we will be doing the other end. Plan to arrive at Hales Bar late Thursday. After things wind down on Sunday we will head for Chattanooga. Then spend the week there and on the Chickamauga Pool returning to Hales Bar on Friday evening. Actually, we will have to load near Nickajack Lock as I don't think we can drag her out on Hales Bar's gravel ramp.

Tom and I may be slow but we usually manage to make the finish line! :mrgreen:
So Many Rivers,
So Little Time....

tsmitherman

Postby tsmitherman » Sat May 28, 2011 6:43 am

Ray,
I'm sending you a email with my phone # and such.
Tom
Tom
------------------------------
36' 1969 Willard Aft-Pilothouse Trawler
Blog: www.genesisboat.blogspot.com

Knot-So-Fast (BoJest) SOLD

"It's amazing what one can do when one doesn't know what one can't do." - Garfield

Oyster

Postby Oyster » Sat May 28, 2011 7:11 am

Tell you what. Ya'll start on Wednesday and I'll wait unitl Thursday. I'll still catch up to you.

Seriously, for me it's not the speed difference, but the fact that ya'll won't want to deal with my open headers for hours on end. I'll see you on Friday at HB.

Thats quite possible for sure, since my wallet is not as big as other folks. :wink: Going fast comes with a big price. All day long, or time periods that old pharts like to consider for their days three to five gallons of fuel is more than enough to deal with my desires for my thrills. YMMV as with others. But anyway I have been wondering who's boat was featured on this month's Glen L calendar. And now I connected, the same one used for the avatar.
But frankly noise is the last thing that truely bothers me. I have been around gofast boats for decades, especially the ones that were some of the first plastic ones called Cigarette . Almost every single one of those boats in some form or the other has killed innocent bystanders and innocent thrill seekers with two much speed in the wrong hands. Most run really really fast,,,,,,,and then sit at bars and get drunk and get back on board and go like a bat out of hell once again.

I am a sailor at heart and a pleasure boater second. Over the course of 39 years unless people are boating regularly on inland lakes, 20 to 25 knots is tops in boats for real comfort that are considered small power boats, even ones up to 30 feet.

But FWIW when I posed the question, I had in mind a 15 knot cruising speed with the 'whale boat', which pretty much is on the low end range of most of the runabouts that is built and has been on the river cruise in years past.

DSC09723.JPG

By the way my I am a firm believer in my signature too. :wink: 8)

v-driver

Postby v-driver » Sat May 28, 2011 8:47 am

Oyster wrote:Almost every single one of those boats in some form or the other has killed innocent bystanders and innocent thrill seekers with two much speed in the wrong hands. Most run really really fast,,,,,,,and then sit at bars and get drunk and get back on board and go like a bat out of hell once again.

I am a sailor at heart and a pleasure boater second. Over the course of 39 years unless people are boating regularly on inland lakes, 20 to 25 knots is tops in boats for real comfort that are considered small power boats, even ones up to 30 feet.

Five by five, Oyster. It's a matter of both perspective and choice. Don't worry, I won't sally your river run. Since I don't drink ANY alcohol, the first concern, above, is not me. The second is just opinion - we all have one or two.

Ya'll have lots of fun at G5.
Paul Miller in Memphis, TN
"Yeah, I had lunch with him last week at the Cracker Barrel out on I-40."

Bob Maskel

Postby Bob Maskel » Sat May 28, 2011 8:56 am

raymacke wrote: Actually, we will have to load near Nickajack Lock as I don't think we can drag her out on Hales Bar's gravel ramp.
Ray, don't know where you put in last year, but there is a concrete ramp about 1/4 mile down from Hales Bar. Ken had no trouble putting in/out with his long trailer, although I know yours weighs a bit more than his... :) Just in case you hadn't seen it last year...

Oyster

Postby Oyster » Sat May 28, 2011 9:02 am

Five by five, Oyster. It's a matter of both perspective and choice. Don't worry, I won't sally your river run. Since I don't drink ANY alcohol, the first concern, above, is not me. The second is just opinion - we all have one or two.

V=Driver, peace brother, no problem and for sure there was no applied swipe at any and all here. But your initial reply was directly targetted at my simple request for information, which received in return a non sequitur come back.

Tell you what. Ya'll start on Wednesday and I'll wait unitl Thursday. I'll still catch up to you.

but the fact that ya'll won't want to deal with my open headers for hours on end

But have no fear, you will not run into this tortoise on the water or at the dock or disturb my tranquility either.

raymacke

Postby raymacke » Sat May 28, 2011 6:04 pm

Bob, I dropped in there last year with Kens help but chickened out on the retrieval. If I remember there was a lot of rock at the top of the ramp and with a 2wd 1/2 ton pickup I need a fairly good and sometimes dry surface to drag 7500+ lbs out. But I will sure look at it again this year. Would be nice to puller her out right there. Of course I would need to clear it with management at Hales Bar. They may not want my truck & trailer sitting there all week. Down at the lock the park caretakers have me park at the far end of the lot which is near their house so they can keep an eye on things for me. Nice folks there too.
So Many Rivers,
So Little Time....

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sat May 28, 2011 9:51 pm

All :!:

DO NOT LEAVE VEHICALS AT THE HB RAMP :!:

There is a history of break-ins.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

raymacke

Postby raymacke » Sun May 29, 2011 4:15 am

There is a history of break-ins.

That doesn't surprise me as it is fairly isolated. I learned a hard lesson about that down in the New Orleans area! The parking area at the marina is a little sparse and that is why I would need to check with management and see is they could accommodate me there for that long of time - don't want to be in their way. If it is a problem I will run down to the Lock.
So Many Rivers,
So Little Time....

kens

Postby kens » Sun May 29, 2011 6:32 am

Oyster wrote:
" the 'whale boat', "

Whale boat?? What whale boat :?:
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

Oyster

Postby Oyster » Sun May 29, 2011 9:00 am

kens wrote:Oyster wrote:
" the 'whale boat', "

Mine, the short, fat, stubby homemade cruiser hull,,,,
The boat that is pictured as an example in the above post and the one that I had in mind using when I was personally considering the run at the time of the original posting. As it stands now this has become a non-issue and will probably just ask the proper officals to delete the related posts in the interest of not distracting from the topic.

kens

Postby kens » Mon May 30, 2011 6:17 am

Oyster wrote:
kens wrote:Oyster wrote:
" the 'whale boat', "

the fat, stubby homemade hull

Depending on the viewing angle, mine can resemble that remark!!! :lol:
Oyster, I hope you bring that boat to G5, it is fine looking from any view. Bring it on the River Run, there is a fine restaurant upriver for lunch, it would be great to hoist a beer with you.
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

Return to “Gathering 2011”