Gathering Readiness Drama....

BruceDow

Gathering Readiness Drama....

Postby BruceDow » Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:19 pm

Will I, or won't I be running for G5?

I was trailering the boat a few weeks ago, and took it down a steep driveway. I dragged the prop on the ground.

I took that off and got it repaired ($200)

Put the prop back on this weekend, and dropped the boat in the water.....

1) at 2500 RPM, the vibrations pretty much shook my fillings loose

2) there were "waterworks" all around my strut and shaft log.

I pulled the boat from the water.... inspected the shaft... there is a bend of about 1/2". Luckily, the bend is just BEFORE the taper.

Today, I pulled the shaft, and sealed up the strut and shaft Log.

Tomorrow, I'll take the shaft to the local "Straightening Guy". Hopefully, it will be ready to put the boat back together before Labour day.

Stay tuned.
Bruce.

~~ Do what you love, and love what you do. ~~
~~ To me - only my boat is not yet perfect. Everybody else's is to be admired for I know the path they have walked (Dave Lott, 2010) ~~
Dow's Monaco Project

Bill Edmundson

Re: Gathering Readiness Drama....

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:23 pm

BRUCE :!:

That is what I dread on my driveway. My rudder is what is at risk.

Keep us posted.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

kens

Postby kens » Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:34 pm

OMG!!!
What did you hit??
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

DaveLott

Postby DaveLott » Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:02 pm

If it is not one thing its another. But you still have a month to go so get-ur-done.

dave
Dave

Riviera build - the Midnight Cry Project
Glen-L Sea Kayak
Mahalo Standup Paddleboard

Video of Midnight in Action

Few things in the world measure up to the thrill and satisfaction of boating in a boat that you built.

BruceDow

Postby BruceDow » Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:37 pm

Kens.

It was just a steep exit from a parking lot down to a street. The prop just dragged on the transition from "steep to flat". I was probably going 5 mph at most.

Dave.

A month sounds like a long time... But between now and then, my job, and "life" will take me to most of: Trinidad, Mexico, Halifax, Curacao, Jamaica, Aruba, and Barbados. I will have max one or two weekends to put the boat back together and test it.

hang on to your hats.

B.
Bruce.

~~ To me - only my boat is not yet perfect. Everybody else's is to be admired for I know the path they have walked (Dave Lott, 2010) ~~
Dow's Monaco Project

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:50 pm

Bruce

I live in fear everytime I bring the boat home or leave! These are shot level.

Bill
Attachments
101_1430.JPG
101_1429.JPG
101_1428.JPG
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

BruceDow

Postby BruceDow » Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:03 pm

SSSSSSSSSSCCCCCCCCCCCCRRRRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAPPPPPPPPPPPPE

(With our without a trailer, that would be exciting with a little of our "snow and ice".)

Much of my driving up at the cottage is "three dimensional" too.

My weekly parking job caused me to have grounding issues at the front end of my trailer. So I reduced the drop on my hitch ball.

Of course, by raising the tongue, I lowered the stern.

That's what caused my problems in "unfamiliar" topography.
Bruce.

Dow's Monaco Project

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:09 pm

Duhhhhh

Maybe I can find a hitch with more drop to get out of the drive, then change at the bottom of the hill.

Bill
Tahoe 19 Build

Oyster

Postby Oyster » Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:21 pm

Bruce Dow wrote:SSSSSSSSSSCCCCCCCCCCCCRRRRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAPPPPPPPPPPPPE

(With our without a trailer, that would be exciting with a little of our "snow and ice".)

Much of my driving up at the cottage is "three dimensional" too.

My weekly parking job caused me to have grounding issues at the front end of my trailer. So I reduced the drop on my hitch ball.

Of course, by raising the tongue, I lowered the stern.

That's what caused my problems in "unfamiliar" topography.

Sorry to hear this....A person needs to be constantly watching the perimeter for sure. But we all know that we get in a hurry sometimes or get sidetracked too.

You know many of the purse seine boats have wire cages around their running gear even while they are only used in the water, which keeps the nets out of them. Maybe we can come up with a pattened version for these inboards while being towed. :wink: Good luck with your repair!

Bill I think you may need new brakes at the bottom of those hills. Of course you can probably get by with say a F650 too, which will probably solve two issues, enough power coming up and maybe air brakes for those downhill issues. 8)

upspirate

Postby upspirate » Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:29 pm

Oyster wrote:[
Sorry to hear this....A person needs to be constantly watching the perimeter for sure. But we all know that we get in a hurry sometimes or get sidetracked too.

You know many of the purse seine boats have wire cages around their running gear even while they are only used in the water, which keeps the nets out of them. Maybe we can come up with a pattened version for these inboards while being towed. :wink: Good luck with your repair!

Bill I think you may need new brakes at the bottom of those hills. Of course you can probably get by with say a F650 too, which will probably solve two issues, enough power coming up and maybe air brakes for those downhill issues. 8)

Most trailers I've seen built and used for inboards have a prop and shaft guard built in so you don't hit the good stuff

Oyster

Postby Oyster » Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:33 pm

upspirate wrote:
Oyster wrote:[

Most trailers I've seen built and used for inboards have a prop and shaft guard built in so you don't hit the good stuff

Remember the three "L"s, location, location, location in relationship to the frames and cross members. Weight distribution has everything to do with this too, and varies with just about every single trailet, Custom trailers seems to always cost more too you knowm so I am not sure if many running gear are as protected anymore, because few production trailer makers carry inboard trailers or build them as a regular diet..

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:44 pm

Snow and ice are not a problem. The US Bobsled Team is in the way practicing.

Bill
Tahoe 19 Build

Mr Hot Rod

Postby Mr Hot Rod » Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:41 pm

Bruce : Didn't we go through something similar last year ?? :lol:

Of course, you'll be running for G5 !! If your schedule gets too tight, you can always haul it up to Chelsea Coach Works or we can pick it up. We'll fit it in somewhere ....

We can also fabricate some downtubes to protect that propeller ...

Building the Glen-L Hot Rod : http://www.boats.chelseacoachworks.com

BruceDow

Postby BruceDow » Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:40 am

As Oyster said... everything is about relative positions and angles.

The trailer has a cross bar with a dropped section designed to (1. allow the fin to pass though, and 2) protect the strut and prop)

But it is about three or four feet in front of the prop. It's bottom is about level with the bottom of my 12" prop. On this day, I had a 13" prop on. I guess with the extra prop diameter and the "angles", one of the prop blades was "exposed".

Bill... you turned the light on for me too... Use two receivers... one with a rise for "navigating the hump" to get into the shed here at the cottage, and one with a greater drop to raise the stern a bit for "normal" (or unfamiliar) use. I'd rather ground out the support at the front of the trailer than my prop.
Bruce.

Dow's Monaco Project

Oyster

Postby Oyster » Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:47 am

Its just a given that both Bruce and Bill make it to G5 folks. Its nice to see that when crunch time exists there appears to be a way to make it happen. Speak up guys, there are many that are pulling for you both when dodo happens. 8)

Return to “Gathering 2011”