Gathering Readiness Drama....

DaveLott

Re: Gathering Readiness Drama....

Postby DaveLott » Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:55 am

I too am in one of those three dimensional situations. Even with the height of my hitch, I scrape the bottom of my bunk mounts as I come out of the garage and then my prop drags grass at the bottom. I had to take off my prop and rudder guard on the trailer for I could not get the trailer in with it on.

I cut the bottom of the bunk mounts off

I am swearing that I am going to build a shop on the level instead of the side of a 30 degree slope!!!
Dave

Riviera build - the Midnight Cry Project
Glen-L Sea Kayak
Mahalo Standup Paddleboard

Video of Midnight in Action

Few things in the world measure up to the thrill and satisfaction of boating in a boat that you built.

Oyster

Postby Oyster » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:00 am

DaveLott wrote:I too am in one of those three dimensional situations. Even with the height of my hitch, I scrape the bottom of my bunk mounts as I come out of the garage and then my prop drags grass at the bottom. I had to take off my prop and rudder guard on the trailer for I could not get the trailer in with it on.

I cut the bottom of the bunk mounts off

I am swearing that I am going to build a shop on the level instead of the side of a 30 degree slope!!!

But,,,,,But,,,,But,,,,,, its been noted recently that inboard boats are just misunderstood.[tongue planted firmly against cheek] 8) :P :lol:

Personally I am a fan of the biggest tires on all boat trailers, which can also be another factor for certain setups especially for the float on trailer applications.

15 inch tires on boat trailers also will give you another margin of safety for highway towing at safe speeds. Most of the wheel wells will allow for them too that already accept the 13 or 14 inche ones. The only difference seems to be some lug patterns.

kens

Postby kens » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:03 am

Oyster,
How could I have seen that one coming???
I guess it is my turn coming up next.
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

Oyster

Postby Oyster » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:14 am

kens wrote:Oyster,

FWIW, we are all in the same boat. Every single one of us have our Rodney Dangerfield moments. :wink:
Cheers 8)

upspirate

Postby upspirate » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:53 am

Oyster wrote:
kens wrote:Oyster,

FWIW, we are all in the same boat. Every single one of us have our Rodney Dangerfield moments. :wink:
Cheers 8)

:shock: :roll: :wink: :oops:

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:01 am

Fortunately I don't expect respect arround here. I just try to dish it out faster than I get it.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

kens

Postby kens » Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:09 pm

I might not make it either, a storm blew a tree on my truck.
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:15 pm

Well we're off to one heck of a start!

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Dwain the ski king

Postby Dwain the ski king » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:04 pm

Even my old boat trailer has a prop guard and it was built in the mid 60s for a 18' Miss Mist...
Bruce is that the prop I sold you (12X14)..I've been wantin' to try a 12x 14 to see how it differs from my 13X13..Trouble is mine is right hand yours is left hand....(mine is green and yours is orange)ahahahhahahahaha....Dwain, the SKIIIIII KIIIIING...

jamundsen

Postby jamundsen » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:51 am

We've been missing you Dwain. :D Unless something bad happens I will be at G5. Maybe with the boat. At least on the trailer.
John Amundsen
Monte Carlo
Lakeland,Fl

Work tends to get in the way of boat building

Mark Chadwick

Postby Mark Chadwick » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:05 am

Hi

Sorry to hear of everyone's troubles with their boats, trucks, trailers etc.

I'm afraid I had to send an email to Dave Lott this morning confirming our regrets.

I have to travel on business the week of The Gathering G5 and there just isn't anyway for me to get out of it.

I wish you all speedy repairs, save journey, and good weather. I will be watching for the pictures!

Cheers

Mark & Lori Chadwick
Glen-L Bull's Eye - "Sparrow"

darthplywood

Postby darthplywood » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:28 am

i just hope my windshield is done in time for the gathering....I will hate to have to bring my boat if it isnt done but i won't be able to resist...
Built the 17' Glen-L "Sea Knight"
yet to come...11' Glen-L "Utility"

BruceDow

Postby BruceDow » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:38 pm

Dwain Colton Skiii Kiiing wrote:Even my old boat trailer has a prop guard and it was built in the mid 60s for a 18' Miss Mist...
Bruce is that the prop I sold you (12X14)..I've been wantin' to try a 12x 14 to see how it differs from my 13X13..Trouble is mine is right hand yours is left hand....(mine is green and yours is orange)ahahahhahahahaha....Dwain, the SKIIIIII KIIIIING...

It was the 13x11 you sent me. After this damage, I had it re-pitched and cupped to 13x12. I can't wait to try it out with a straight shaft.

the trailer has a prop guard. This was just a fluke combination of the angles.

UPDATE.

I dropped the shaft off at a cool machine shop.

http://www.kytechmachine.com/pages/prop%20shafts.html

He seems to think that he can straighten it for $75. (But I am waiting for him to confirm... If he can't fix it, he'll fab me a new shaft... no problem expecting a Labour Day test run)
Bruce.

~~ Do what you love, and love what you do. ~~
~~ To me - only my boat is not yet perfect. Everybody else's is to be admired for I know the path they have walked (Dave Lott, 2010) ~~
Dow's Monaco Project

jamundsen

Postby jamundsen » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:45 pm

Darthplywood if I can drag the Monte all the way up there and it wont even be able to float you can bring your beauty without a windshield.; :lol: :lol:
John Amundsen
Monte Carlo
Lakeland,Fl

Work tends to get in the way of boat building

vupilot

Postby vupilot » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:00 pm

Mark,
Sorry to hear of your schedule conflict, enjoyed watching your sailboat sail and chatting with you the last 2 years very much. Hope to see you again at a future Gathering.

-Chris

Return to “Gathering 2011”