Suggestion About The Video Taping of G5

raymacke

Suggestion About The Video Taping of G5

Postby raymacke » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:00 pm

I have talked with Gayle & John and they are planning to have Chris again video record this years Gathering. Chris was onboard my True Grit for a good portion of last years taping, resulting in an opportunity for me to watch a good portion of the process. With this in mind I would like to make a suggestion.

As you may remember when it was time to do the on the water video shoot we all left the dock and proceeded to cruise around the area while he recorded. I noted that the smaller craft and some of the sailboats struggled trying to deal with the heavy chop created by the larger and faster boats. Also, because there was such a disparity in speed with some (particularly the sailboats) they often were far away from the rest of the action.

It might be a good idea this year to organize this just a little. To me it would seem to make sense to send the small craft and sailboats out first and allow Chris to shoot what he need of them. This way they would be operating on much smoother water and could stay more centralized.

Once that was complete a call back to the dock (VHF or Cell) to a designated person whom could then release the rest of the boats. At that time the remaining group could proceed to open water for their turn in front of the lens. The small craft and sailboats would be welcome to stay out but wouldn’t feel they were obligated to do so to be included in the video.

I would be more than happy to have Chris again shoot from my boat and help coordinate this if the majority think it is a good idea.

Just my thoughts….
So Many Rivers,
So Little Time....

Bill Edmundson

Re: Suggestion About The Video Taping of G5

Postby Bill Edmundson » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:14 pm

Ray

As always you're right on the money. Lauren said she would try to take a check-in table. If we can set up an easy-up next to FL #1 can maybe give out a rough schedule which would give video staging times, meals, awards, etc.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

kens

Postby kens » Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:58 am

Bill,
That sounds way to organized for a Gathering. But, Ray has a point, let the small boats go first.

I really liked the video of the boats passing the camera boat, that was the first video. It was cool to watch. You got a little more time seeing the boats up & running as they passed the camera. Perhaps Chris could get some video from a 'stable platform' boat and do this again.
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:35 am

That is what I meant by video staging times. Say small boats go out @ 1:00 for video & larger boats go out @ 2:15 or what ever.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

raymacke

Postby raymacke » Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:48 pm

I really liked the video of the boats passing the camera boat, that was the first video. It was cool to watch. You got a little more time seeing the boats up & running as they passed the camera. Perhaps Chris could get some video from a 'stable platform' boat and do this again.
I certainly think this would be possible. And if my boat is used as the platform, even at my cruising speed most everybody CAN pass us! In fact, if there is any drag racing going on Tom Smitherman and I request to be in the sailboat class. :lol:

We can ask Chris to try to include an ample amounts of this type of shot and I am betting he will be happy to comply.
So Many Rivers,
So Little Time....

Return to “Gathering 2011”