A heartfelt thanks from Glen

Gayle Brantuk

A heartfelt thanks from Glen

Postby Gayle Brantuk » Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:25 pm

I came to work Monday in anticipation of hearing my daughter Gayle’s report on Gathering #5. I always look forward to hearing about the stories, people, and of course their boats.

Instead of getting the report, I was given a beautiful plaque thanking ME for my contributions to the Amateur Boat Building Community. To put it mildly I was stunned. To think a group of people had taken the time and effort to thank ME for what THEY had done is inconceivable.

The more I thought about the wonderful gift and the thoughts behind it, I realized they gave the plaque to the wrong guy; don’t get me wrong, I’ll take it with the greatest of pleasures. But, I simply put lines on paper; the person who used those few lines and words to create the boats I see at the Gathering deserve the bulk of the credit.

And yes, I personally know what it takes to build such a project. I’ve built about 25 different boats, and with Glen-L have overseen as many more. I remember very well the innumerable, insurmountable problems that had to be solved, and the satisfaction of finding the answers. The countless hours spent thinking about how to do a construction phase. And yes the lousy tasks, does anyone actually like to sand fiberglass?

And then the personal problems--do you work on the boat or paint the room the better half has been bugging you about?

I also vividly recall the years the dollar couldn’t be stretched far enough to buy what was needed to keep the project going, but scrounging and making do is part of a boatbuilder’s life. But most of all launching a craft I built with my own hands and enjoying the culmination of perhaps years of work is a feeling beyond imagination unless you’ve lived it.

So to all you boatbuilders at the Gathering, congratulations on what you have been able to accomplish; each of you should have a plaque.

The fact you have given it to me for my small contribution proves what I’ve learned over the years….boat builders, as a group, are the nicest, generally likable people you can meet, ones that you’d like as a personal friend, forever.

Thanks again for the plaque, it means a lot to me.

Glen L. Witt

PS : Imagine a group thanking ME for the fun I’ve had over the years. Unbelievable!

darthplywood

Re: A heartfelt thanks from Glen

Postby darthplywood » Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:38 pm

Thank you again Gayle and Glen!

Its hard to put in to words how much the continuation of Glen-L marine design means to all of us!

CHEERS to YOU!
Built the 17' Glen-L "Sea Knight"
yet to come...11' Glen-L "Utility"

upspirate

Postby upspirate » Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:29 pm

Beautiful reply Glen,thanks

Warren

Andy Garrett

Postby Andy Garrett » Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:42 pm

Ask a teacher, a mentor, a coach, or a parent...

All will tell you that the greatest feeling of pride and accomplishment is found in helping others find their own.

Any and all kudos and thanks you receive for your life's work, are well deserved sir. Allow me to add one more...

Thank you. :wink:
Andy Garrett

Perhaps the slowest Zip build in Glen-L history...

jamundsen

Postby jamundsen » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:08 pm

Glen L Witt A true gentleman
John Amundsen
Monte Carlo
Lakeland,Fl

Work tends to get in the way of boat building

red

Postby red » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:07 pm

thank you for the work that you have done and continue to do that has given so many the oppertunity to make great memories with there families not only building but also useing the boats they have built from your plans so heres to you and the whole Glen L family for the past memories and the ones still to come thank you again

Grand Chillin

Postby Grand Chillin » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:52 pm

I would also like to extend a thank you. while I haven't built an inboard or an outboard I'm still a huge fan of You , glen-L and all of the builders. The best way to show why I build is to use pictures so here goes. :D
TubbyTug003.jpg

Kid Yak 205.jpg
A secret to a good marriage is to have a quick mind and a slow mouth!!!

Iggy

Postby Iggy » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:48 pm

Glen,

Somebody had to create, pull, promote the designs & plans so people like me could come along... years later... and get not only the plans but the confidence to do something I never thought I would or could do.

That is simply not that common and while you might try to play down your role in the matter here, in the hearts of every Glen-L boatbuilder around the globe, we are so thankful that you made it possible for us to actually pursue this strange dream that unites hundreds, if not thousands, of amateur boat builders under the Glen-L banner.

Its not just the plans.. but that they are still so affordable.. that you published a book to help us along.. that you put the fantastic people in place to continue the legacy and support the ongoing hobby that I'd bet most average people won't even know existed in the first place.

We've never met... but you, your company, your family and your staff hold a special place in my heart. I am glad to have had the opportunity to build one of your fantastic boats... and I am so glad the team at the gathering was able to give a little piece back to you on behalf of the community.
Ian (aka Iggy)
My Malahini Build

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:24 am

Thanks, Glen!!! We're all so glad you are out there for us.

Roberta :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

jprice

Postby jprice » Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:22 am

I'm still a newcomer here, and wasn't even at the gathering, but I'd like to thank Glen as well. But please don't be so modest...
Gayle Brantuk wrote:But, I simply put lines on paper...
We all know what you've done for the boatbuilding community is a heck of a lot more than just putting lines on paper.
:D

tsmitherman

Postby tsmitherman » Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:31 am

Glen,
We've never met, but I am one of the many who are in debt to you for creating an avenue for my dreams to become reality. I can remember, as a very young child, reading about your boats in Popular Mechanics magazines that an uncle saved for me, and dreaming about someday building one myself and sailing to far away places.

But even more important than that, through your work and encouragement for the amateur boat builder, you have helped to grow the character of my grand-children. While they wouldn't recognize your name, you gave me the tools I used to teach them that when they combine their dreams with hard work, the results can be amazing.
On our trips on our Bo-Jest in Alabama, Mississippi, Tennessee and Florida my wife and I have watched as all our grand-children gained knowledge in math, history, geography, weather, science and many other areas. The greatest thing they've gained though, is self confidence and a sense of accomplishment.

We have especially enjoyed watching Abby, our 9 year old grand-daughter who has been on most of our longer trips, as the knowledge and skills she gained on the boat have helped her develop into a very confident, assured young lady who has a great appreciation for the beauty that God created.

I can't help but smile when I hear her telling someone about the animals and birds we've seen, how a lock works, or how to steer when passing a tug and barge. When someone asks about the boat, she's always quick to remind them that "my Papa built it himself". She has even written a book about our 8 day trip down the Alabama River.

While you may not want to take credit for it, your work is an integral part of the whole chain that has given her, and many many others, a part of their personality that will serve them well throughout life.

You may think your life was spent designing boats, but I assure you that you have done much, much more than that. Thank you.
Tom
------------------------------
36' 1969 Willard Aft-Pilothouse Trawler
Blog: www.genesisboat.blogspot.com

Knot-So-Fast (BoJest) SOLD

"It's amazing what one can do when one doesn't know what one can't do." - Garfield

Ches T

Postby Ches T » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:04 am

I was not at the gathering either, but I say "Amen" to the above posts.

I have not yet had the pleasure of launching my Glen-L Zip. But progress is being made and I look forward with anticipation of joining the ranks of satisfied, succesful boat builders.

Again, Hats off to all you, especially Mr. Witt!
Ches

vupilot

Postby vupilot » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:46 am

Thanks Glen, I hope your "lines on paper" and words in books are available for generations to come.

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:48 am

I think, I was one of the first to see Glen's note. I wanted to wait for others' reply follow-up.

These replies are the message I was trying to convey at the presentation. They've done a better job. I knew they would.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

upspirate

Postby upspirate » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:09 pm

Bill Edmundson wrote:I think, I was one of the first to see Glen's note. I wanted to wait for others' reply follow-up.

These replies are the message I was trying to convey at the presentation. They've done a better job. I knew they would.

Bill

Ditto to all above!! :D

Return to “Gathering 2011”