Glen-L.com

The Boatbuilder Connection
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:26 pm 

If not, how about a Mini Gathering for those of us on the West Coast...or alternating every other year?

Yes, I'm new here, so educate me if there is some history on this already!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:16 pm 

8) they have had gatherings before on west coast but have fallen short the past couple of years. When I get further along with my build or get it completed I will be holding one in the rocky mountian area no matter if anybody comes or not :lol:

14' Mr John-being built
32' Supper Huck-in design

Rod H

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:45 pm 

Welcome.

Here is some video from the California get together on the Delta.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfYLNnajB80

Unfortunately we havent seen any talk on the forum of a west coast get together for a few years. It would be great if we had enough interest to have a event on each coast along with the big Gathering in TN.
All it takes is for a few people to say they are going to show up somewhere on the same day. I am trying to rally some troops for a spring fling in my neck of the woods which you can find in the Misc section of the forum.

Wood kayak build
www.woodduckkayak.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:58 pm 

There were a couple of get togethers on the west coast. But, the organizer got worried about liability out there. Our position has been that we are going to the lake. If you would like to come, it is your responsibility.

I don't have any fault with the opinion out there. It's their call.

Bill

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:15 pm 

If all goes as planned, my build will be completed late spring (targeting a Lake Tahoe launching in May) and would definately be interested in a West coast gathering. Not sure of where would be best location or venue but am will to travel (TN too far unfortunately!).

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:39 pm 

It would be a haul for me, but to get people to come south from the north west corner, I think Lake Shasta would be a fantastic place to hold a west coast event!

Second on my list would be Lake Tahoe followed very closely by some of the delta areas outside Sacramento/San Francisco.

A friend recommend Pine Flat Lake outside of Fresno.

At this point, I would recommend a 2014 date for Lake Shasta! Some of us could be ready by then and if gives everyone plenty of time to plan. I doubt I will ever make TN.

I have experience setting up events...this could be fun! A small group would need to be formed to form a committee and we could work from there.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:47 am 

KX6D wrote:
If not, how about a Mini Gathering for those of us on the West Coast...or alternating every other year?

Yes, I'm new here, so educate me if there is some history on this already!

It should be noted that "they" (as in "Do 'they' hold one....") is not Glen-L Marine Designs. "They" is the active members of this forum who want to get together and meet up to enjoy one another's friendship and comaradarie and experience and knowledge.

The Gatherings are completely organized and produced strictly by volunteers who are extremely highly esteemed and appreciated by us here in the home office (and by everyone else as well). These events couldn't possibly be the warm, friendly, fun and delicious (GREAT food) Gatherings they always are if they were some kind of corporate sales outreach, so we're quite happy to just be visitors and support in any way we can and have the opportunity to hang out on the water with so many friends every year.

We hope that everyone remembers how hard the Gathering organizers work every year to make this wonderful event such a resounding success, and that you all take the time to thank each and every one of them.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]