G6 Boat Videos

neel thompson

Re: G6 Boat Videos

Postby neel thompson » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:49 am

Wow !!! Thanks to everyone for the nice words. And thanks to all of you brave folks that had the courage to ride with me. That is what it is all about, in my opinion. To be able to share the boat with friends, old and new, means alot to me. It was great meeting new friends and re-meeting those from G5. See you next year for sure..... Glenn and Dean,, I must tell you the thrill of launching for the first time and testing the results of your hard work is beyond words.... What a thrill !! Good luck in the finishing stages, and keep us all posted.....

Neel

fergal butler

Postby fergal butler » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:31 am

Just a quick question, how come no one is wearing a lifejacket is it not law over there ?

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:27 am

Most places over here require you to have a jacket for everyone. They don't require you to wear it unless it's the inflatable type. Inflatables only count if you have it on.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:09 pm

We carry a four pack of adult size life jackets and one throw-able cushion type flotation device. That meets our requirements for flotation equipment for a 4 passenger boat. I also keep a youth size jacket on hand for kids.

Roberta :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

BarnacleMike

Postby BarnacleMike » Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:51 pm

Fergal,

I believe the law in Tennessee and Georgia (and probably Alabama) is that all persons 16 and under must be wearing a life jacket. I'd assume most states are similar.

As Bill mentioned, most states also mandate that life jackets and/or some type of emergency flotation is available for everyone on board.
-Michael

Built Utility "Perseverance" — completed Aug 2016
Currently building a Zip
My Boatbuilding Blog: http://barnaclemikeboats.blogspot.com/
My Website of Boat Photos: https://michaelsmaddox.wordpress.com

fergal butler

Postby fergal butler » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:02 pm

Here on any boat under 7 meters every one must be wearing a life jacket. We flip our boats very quickly over here and don't get time to look for and then put them on :D I guess we might also do a bit more drinking while out boating and wouldn't have the dexterity to put on a life jacket so better safe than sorry :lol:

Gayle Brantuk

Postby Gayle Brantuk » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:29 pm

So much fun! Thanks for posting these. All the comments are correct as they ride like on rails. Very nice work guys! Riding in both boats was a total rush. Can you refresh my memory on the mph and rpm on these rides. I think I remember, but want to make sure as I know I'll get questions. Thanks again!
Gayle Brantuk
Vice President
Glen-L Marine
Visit our Blog & Create Your Own!

neel thompson

Postby neel thompson » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:55 pm

Gayle, I think the fastest I was able to handle was 47 MPh at 4600 Rpm, and I think that happened at some point on that video. It also happened again when I took Kens for a ride and he kept yelling "faster, faster, faster !!!! I simply ignored him. He really needs a speedboat !!!!! Thanks for everything....Neel

Mr Hot Rod

Postby Mr Hot Rod » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:45 pm

I'm still trying to get insurance for this boat, so I'll post a few data points. We had three hours of testing with the new cavitation plates before heading off to G6. The foot pedal was set to the 70 MPH position until we get more seat time with the new hardware. Numbers have improved over last year (as if we need more speed !) and the boat doesn't go airborne when you hit the 'go' pedal at speed.

With a 3 blade 12x16 cupped prop and Casale V-drive with 12% gears, we're running 40 MPH @ 2500 RPM and 70 MPH @ 4500 RPM. Speeds are GPS. Last year at G5 with Richard Cabral aboard (he's a really bad influence :twisted: ) we ran 80 MPH @ 5200. From 4800 to 5200 RPM everything gets real quiet and you can feel the boat accelerating hard. Engine is built to spin to 6200 RPM. WOT is still unknown ...

Engine specs and build photos are on our website :

:wink: Someone else who needs a speedboat is Lola. I told her that Bill could add a Hot Rod to his To Do List as soon as he finishes up the Bartender :P

Building the Glen-L Hot Rod : http://www.kanecustomboats.com

Glen-L Boat Video Directory : http://www.kanecustomboats.com/pages/vi ... ctory.html

kens

Postby kens » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:58 pm

Its all relative,.
20mph in 4foot seas is hauling tail. its fun also watching waves taller than the transom go by. I need a Go-pro camera or, you tube camera for some of the offshore stuff. Splitting green water with the bow is a rush.
Its all relative, and that inland water is a rush at 50mph.!!
offshore water can be a rush at 20mph.
surfing a 25' inboard on the downhill side of following sea is a rush at 15mph.
.................follow me out to buoy 7 out of St. Cathrines Sound on a windy day. ................
But, 50mph on flat water is still a kick in the ass..........
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

Mr Hot Rod

Postby Mr Hot Rod » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:11 pm

Here's the first cut of Saturday afternoon's river cruise. Nick caught several of the boats, but not all of them !

Glen-L Boat Video Directory : http://www.kanecustomboats.com/pages/vi ... ctory.html
Last edited by Mr Hot Rod on Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Trackhappy
Location: Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia. Building Gentry.

Postby Trackhappy » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:29 pm

Nice Job!
By the time I have built a boat, I'll be ready to build a boat....

Gayle Brantuk

Postby Gayle Brantuk » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:41 am

Great job Paul! Thanks so much for putting that together...
Gayle Brantuk
Vice President
Glen-L Marine
Visit our Blog & Create Your Own!

v-driver

Postby v-driver » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:51 pm

Nick really got it right with these videos. How I wish I had been able to keep my plans to attend G6, to meet Nick and to see all of the Glen-L friends - especially you, Paul. I'm sorry I had to renege on coming to Nickajack. Alas, "restructuring" at my job (soon to be ex-job) got in the way. No time for boating, now, except vicariously through these pictures and videos. I love it!
Paul Miller in Memphis, TN
"Yeah, I had lunch with him last week at the Cracker Barrel out on I-40."

Mr Hot Rod

Postby Mr Hot Rod » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:41 pm

Gayle: Glen's book Boatbuilding with Plywood should have a chapter devoted to 'Video editing after you've built the boat'. Can't wait to see what Chris will come up with this year ! Thanks to everyone who participated !

Paul: Nice to hear from you ! Sorry to hear about the job. I hope it works itself out and you can make plans for next year. More flat water to come in the River Run video (still in production).

Return to “Gathering 2012”