Bonding problems

Problems, how to use. Also see: "EPOXY", in the left-hand column of the Home page.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, ttownshaw

slug

Bonding problems

Postby slug » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:50 pm

Doug,

Thank you for contacting us regarding your LV/Low Tox dilution and surface prep questions. Per our conversation I would recommend denatured alcohol for both. To dilute, blend the resin and hardener together first at the recommended mix ratio, then blend in roughly 2-5% denatured alcohol to thin. It should be noted thinning any epoxy system with a solvent will slightly reduce the overall mechanical properties of the cured material and should be minimized if possible. In regards to surface prep, after sanding, wipe surface with clean rag soaked in denatured alcohol, let solvent flash off and then apply epoxy.

Orange peel and fish eyes can be caused by a number of factors, but is typically due to surface contamination or low material and ambient temperatures. Unfortunately, the only way to remove orange peel is to sand it off and start again. After sanding be sure to clean the sanding residue off with denatured alcohol and a clean rag. Fold the rag over often, especially if there’s a lot of dust on the surface you are cleaning. Be sure to let the solvent flash off and dry before applying any epoxy. Do not use a tack rag. They are treated with chemicals that can remain on the surface and cause orange peel. Thinning the mixed epoxy resin and hardener with denatured alcohol, can also help to improve self-leveling. Switching to FLAG Resin for the final coat is also a common practice with customers.

The minimum recommended application temperature for clear coating and laminating is 60°F. Storage temperature for the resin and hardener should be between 60-90°F. Do not allow them to freeze. When working in cooler conditions it’s a good idea to allow the material to warm up inside before use. It should be noted that Kerosene torpedo heaters can cause problems due to excess moisture in the air from fumes.

We greatly appreciate you keeping us in mind when speaking with other builders and are happy to hear you’re pleased with the results.
Let me know now if you have any questions or need anything else.

Regards,

Mike Schroeder
Product Development

MAS Epoxies

This is a copy of info received from MAS epoxy on thinning epoxy and wiping down before applying. Good information.
Doug

Bill Edmundson

Re: Bonding problems

Postby Bill Edmundson » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:58 pm

Doug

Thanks for this post! Great information for all of us!

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

slug

Postby slug » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:32 am

Bill; I got myself in to trouble by wiping down with lacquer thinner before applying and the results were disastrous. Had to sand off completely and start over. Such a simple miss step can cause a pile of pain. Hope this avoids the same for some one else.

Doug

Katie

Postby Katie » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:31 pm

First of all I like to thank you for the post . It is really a valuable information. I too had problem in wiping down with lacquer thinner earlier. Orange peel was also a problem. This post had really helped me to overcome the bonding problem.

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:43 am

I wondered about using lacquer thinner, too! I switched to DuPont Final Klean before any coating.

Roberta
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Return to “Epoxy”