Epoxy is not curing - a sticky mess

Problems, how to use. Also see: "EPOXY", in the left-hand column of the Home page.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, ttownshaw

thudpucker

Re: Epoxy is not curing - a sticky mess

Postby thudpucker » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:20 pm

What I had trouble with, was getting all the 'stuff' out of the mixing container. I was never sure I had the mix correct because so much of Part A and Part B was left in the little paper cups.

upspirate

Postby upspirate » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:03 am

I'd give it a week to see what happens.

I did most of my building last summer in 95 degree F heat,when I did some in 45-50 degree in the late fall-winter, I couldn't believe the working time I had and how long it took to kick off!!! :shock:

And I mix by volume some 1/1,some 2/1, some 3/1, and some 5/1 depending on which product I'm using.

so far, no bad batches....I don't use pumps,I measure into containers

len sandok

Postby len sandok » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:41 am

:) After waiting for about two weeks I still had a few areas that were sticky. I decided that I had to do something rather than just wait. I soaked a rag in vinegar and used a little elbow greas on those areas. Then I wiped again with a clean dry rag and the mess is gone. I still do not know if it was caused because I used the wrong proportions of hardened to epoxy or because the temperature went below feezing right after application. I thought the vinegar tip wa worth sharing. I read it somewhere on this site, but I don't remember who told me about it. Thanks - whoever you are - you saved me a lot of time and money.

Bob Perkins

Postby Bob Perkins » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:50 am

I'll bet $10 it was a bad mix and not temperature drop.
Once it warmed up - it should have started to cure.

upspirate

Postby upspirate » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:11 pm

Yea!!!

Might not be a bad idea to do a test batch.

Onward and upward! :D

len sandok

Postby len sandok » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:21 am

Thanks, I've done a few more batches since the "sticky mess" and they seem fine. I am going to assume it was my mistake. Thanks for all of your help!

JWSAV

Postby JWSAV » Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:51 pm

1 problem that really stands out and is very important when mixing the parts together. VERY IMPORTANT.

When you add part A and B to a mixing cup/bowl, some of the product is on the sides of the container and doesn't get mixed in. When you use the product, any of this that ends up being used will stay stick/gummy and never cure all the way especially when using the thicker stuff.

How to keep this from happening.

Even though this may be a pain, you have to do it.

1- Mix parts together in a container.
2- Pour the mix into another container
3- Then, mix the pre-mixed stuff again in the new container. This keeps any of the unmixed stuff from the sides and/or bottom from contaminating your batch.

Works EVERYTIME.

Of course, proper temps are important also. I get a Warmer bulb and use it in a clip on light fixture. It's a heat lamp. They come in amber or clear. Looks like a flood bulb kinda. If it's cool out leave the light on the pieces for 15-20 minutes and then cut it off until you finish using your mix. Then turn it back on. Remember not to have it too close to your work. 12-20" away should work ok.

Good Luck!

Mark-NJ

Postby Mark-NJ » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:20 pm

This is a 6 year old thread! The original poster, to whom you're wishing "good luck", hasn't even logged into this forum since Nov 2014!

Return to “Epoxy”