gorilla glue

Problems, how to use. Also see: "EPOXY", in the left-hand column of the Home page.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, ttownshaw

slug

Re: gorilla glue

Postby slug » Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:50 pm

Having an allergy to epoxy forces one to look for alternatives. I've had excellent success with "titebond 3". It is waterproof and has some gap filling capabilities and I don't have to wait 2 days before I can use the joint. I've used it on all my batten scarf joints.
However, on the planking I'm using MAS epoxy with their new "low tox" hardener with great success so far....no reactions :D
Not cheap tho.
Doug

Cooley

Postby Cooley » Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:08 am

I'm just starting a new build and intend on using Gorilla Glue. It should be just fine since the entire hull shall be encased in epoxy.

chugalug

Postby chugalug » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:16 am

:D I used some of that in my build .I'm also trying something that's supposed to glue frozen green treat lumber together.came in 40 oz tubes.I used some titebond 3 in interior panels and destroyed the panel trying to remove it later
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

raymacke

Postby raymacke » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:51 pm

On my now 18 year old Cabin Skiff I used Gorilla Glue on one joint - the skeg. It is the only glue joint that has failed on the well used boat. In my estimation, if you don't want to use epoxy, Titebond 3 is far superior. A few years back I believe it was Wood Magazine that did glue stress testing and the liquid polyurethanes did not do well - at least compared to epoxy and Titebond. Titebond is cheaper, stores longer, easier to use and cleans up with water.

Because of my sever reaction to epoxy I also extensively used PL Premium Construction Adhesive [urlhttps://www.amazon.com/Loctite-Polyurethane-Construction-Cartridge-1390595/dp/B001E3VQBE][/url] when building the True Grit. It is also a polyurethane but not the liquid. After 8 yrs there have been no failures.

I highly suggest you make some test blocks gluing two pieces together and then smack them with a hammer to break them. When I did this with Gorilla every joint broke on the glue line and pulled no or very little wood fiber. With Titebond 3 and PL the breaks were always to the wood not the glue joint. Personally, I have no use for the liquid polys but hey, that's just me!
So Many Rivers,
So Little Time....

Return to “Epoxy”