Epoxy and UV

Problems, how to use. Also see: "EPOXY", in the left-hand column of the Home page.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, ttownshaw

Ga-Steve

Epoxy and UV

Post by Ga-Steve » Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:00 am

How long does it take for UV rays to undermine epoxy? Last fall I was able to get the glass and a layer of epoxy on my hull before the cold temps caused a standstill. My plan is to put a couple of more coats of epoxy on before painting. Just curious as I have heard epoxy needs a UV barrier. Thanks, Steve

JimmY

Re: Epoxy and UV

Post by JimmY » Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:23 am

Yes, epoxy needs UV protection. Is your hull outside in the sun? If not, there is no concern the epoxy should be fine indefinitely if not exposed to UV directly.
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

Ga-Steve

Post by Ga-Steve » Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:48 am

In the morning, sun hits it until around 11. It is covered by an awning but morning sun does shine on it.

There won’t be any issues putting on a couple more coats before painting??? And thanks, Steve

TomB

Post by TomB » Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:53 pm

Steve,

The Gougeon Brothers say that 200 hours of direct exposure to sunlight can be enough to cause epoxy to start breaking down - so put a tarp over it if it's going to sit out naked in the sun for a while.

Tom

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:14 pm

You should start to see a visual difference if it is starting to affect the epoxy. You can always sand it down a little and put another coat or two on.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

Return to “Epoxy”