Glen-L.com

The Boatbuilder Connection
It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:57 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: epoxy curing
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:25 pm 

I bought proset epoxy from a boat dealer. The weather has been cold and damp. It has been one week since I applied epoxy on the hull to place fiber glass over hull. It is still tacky despite using heaters. Does anyone have any suggestions other than removing it all?

Post subject: Re: epoxy curing
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:46 pm 

Well, I hate to be the bearer of bad news but you'll have to scrape the goo off with a putty knife and then clean up the residue with acetone. It's not at all important how I know that. :oops:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:53 am 

had the same problem in cool weather, seems the longer the curing time the worst the amine blush,,, take some warm soap and water and wash off a spot to make sure thats is not all you have,, the blush will make the poxy feel like it has not cured. if the mix proportions were right there is no reason for it not to cure just will take longer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:44 am 

I too had that problem. I could not get my garage as warm as I wanted. Took a couple of days to cure. Even then I thought it wasn't, but after washing a spot with warm water and a scotchbrite pad it was fine.

Like G&S said, the blush can make it feel like it is not cured. Does it still dent, or just feel waxy/oily/weird on the surface?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:55 am 

Hey guy i use alot of different epoxies and could you tell me what type of pro set you are using , because alot of the pro set line has to have a self induced cure . Hey guy i often use a resin made by shell which i have used for many years and takes 48 hours to cure and if you do not have the area at warm temp's it takes e v e n .......longer to cure .

Last edited by OFFSHORE GINGER on Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:42 pm 

This might help and to tell you the truth pro- set , is a very pricey Epoxy if you are buying it retail http://prosetepoxy.com/laminating_epoxies.html

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:59 am 

would be nice to let everybody know what you found henry

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:36 pm 

Thanks to every one for all your replies. I used proset 229 hardener and proset 125 resin. I sanded an area with 80 after washing it. This did seem to help. Where it was heavy it sanded well. Where is it was thinner it was tacky and loaded up the sandpaper. Is this just a characteristic of epoxy? I have never used epoxies in this way. I am used to using it repairing fiberglass boats. If this is just how it is I guess I will be spending a fortune on sandpaper. Would a different technique of sanding be better (and easier HA HA)/? FYI I am building the Malahini. Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:09 pm 

I've had some spots like that, I eventually ended up wet sanding with 60 grit. Just used a towel, a bucket, and my RO sander. It did not take much to get the suface "clean". Sanded fine after that. Only used one piece of paper too. If it gums up the stuff just picks off with your finger.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:21 am 

Getting back to everyone regarding epoxy curing. I spoke with the tech man at Proset Epoxy. He said that when cold/damp outside that the epoxy will go into a dormant mode. He said not to remove it. The key is to do this kind of work when it is warm. Patience is a virtue! He was right. As soon as temps here hit the 70's it cured perfectly and quickly (a few days).
I do have another question. I am almost ready to paint. Most people seem to be using urethane. I would like to hear advice about this and what others have used to paint with and how it went.
Thanks.