EPOXY DIMPLES

Problems, how to use. Also see: "EPOXY", in the left-hand column of the Home page.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, ttownshaw

william

EPOXY DIMPLES

Post by william » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:38 pm

I have completed glassing the bottom of a stripper canoe and and added the reinforcing to the bottom. In the process of applying the fill coat I kept getting low areas in the glass. I tried to sand them out but the more I sand the closer to the glass I get. I have applied 2 more coats of fill coat and have sanded them and I still have low spots (shiny) on the bottom.
How to get away from this?? I suppose I could add two or three coats of fill and then sand this smooth but it seems that with all the sanding I am only sanding off the coats I just applied. I wash the canoe down with mineral spirits before I recoat. Is that sufficient of what. I could use some suggestions.

Bill

harpoonhedd

Re: EPOXY DIMPLES

Post by harpoonhedd » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:19 pm

little late here...but mineral spirits are not so friendly w/ epoxy type's( oil based vs. epoxy...its what will clean your hands...LOL...)...acetone( or lacquer thinner) afterwards water are best...I always scotch brite w/ water after cleaning etc...also making sure you are above 75 degrees and lower humidity might be a factor??...hope this is of help...and that you are still tuned in...

ted...artist/woodworker
chincoteague island,virginia

http://harpoonheddgallery.shutterfly.com/

Return to “Epoxy”