First Time Boat Builder

Problems, how to use. Also see: "EPOXY", in the left-hand column of the Home page.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, ttownshaw

GreenMachine

First Time Boat Builder

Post by GreenMachine » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:41 am

I am new to boat building but am a great carpenter.. I am makeing a flat bottomed dory with a centersole. I am going to use it on rivers and lakes near my area (midwest). Im not sure what type of epoxy to use for building.. Is the epoxy what i use to glue the frame work together and does it also seal the wood? or do i need two different substances? Im going to use 2x4s for the frame work and screw them together plus glue them. A little help on what materials as far as sealer and glue or epoxy to use would be greatly apprieciated..

Thanks Jay.

BORD

Re: First Time Boat Builder

Post by BORD » Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:08 pm

You can use the same epoxy for gluing as you do for sealing but it will need to be thickened with silica.

jeffh

Post by jeffh » Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:16 pm

Yep. You can also thicken the epoxy with wood flour. Especially for fillets if they are required anywhere in the build. Also, if you plan to finish any of the boat bright instead of paint, pay attention to amine blush or just buy a product like MAS Epoxy and slow hardener.
2011 MALAHINI - KICKED IN THE HEAD
I wake up with a 16ft woody every morning :)
Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=534DBtp1Cnc

GreenMachine

Post by GreenMachine » Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:27 pm

Thank you guys for the help. Is there any material such as the epoxy that can be bought from like a hardware store like lowes, homedepot, menards. im getting the lumber from menards. I went and checked it all out and its very smooth with no imperfections. and pre sanded, and also with exterior glue which is needed. I am also going to paint the boat inside and out.

jprice

Post by jprice » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:08 am

The only brick&mortar store I've found with epoxy is West Systems.
As far as I know, HD/Lowes only has those small tubes of epoxy for household repairs, etc.

I've purchased all my epoxy online.
Even If generic home supply stores did carry it, I'd imagine the cost would be significantly higher than what you can get online anyway.