What brand name of epoxy did you use

Problems, how to use. Also see: "EPOXY", in the left-hand column of the Home page.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, ttownshaw

mlavimodiere

What brand name of epoxy did you use

Post by mlavimodiere » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:41 pm

Ok so I'm about to start my first build.....and Torpedo is it. And so the shopping list starts! :roll: what to buy? West ? The glen L stuf or some other brand name. I don't mind paying for quality but want to know I'm using the best! And what will make my life the easiest !
So what is it?

jamundsen

Re: What brand name of epoxy did you use

Post by jamundsen » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:17 pm

Glen L has several brands available. I ordered about 20 gallons of the stuff and was pleased with both the cost and the way it handled. Since I live about as far away from the glen L office as anyone I really was pleased with the shipping time and cost. I just felt since they are the host of this excellent site I should support them when I can. Having said that I did use Mas low viscosity epoxy for the exterior finish. I think now that the Sytem 3 that Glen L has would work just as well and will use that for my next build.(If I can ever get this one done.)
John Amundsen
Monte Carlo
Lakeland,Fl

Work tends to get in the way of boat building

vupilot

Post by vupilot » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:13 pm

I used Glen-L on my first boat. The poxy-grip is awesome. Dont have to worry about mixing ratio's since its 1:1. Its good and thick so you dont need to add fillers in most cases. The poxy-shield is great too and just like West System in consistency and mix ratio of 1:5 if I remember correct.

On my second boat the kit came with MAS epoxy. It has less tendency to get Amine blush which is nice but you still have to watch for it. Its harder to mix very small batches with a 1:5 ratio though and you always had to add fillers to it for structural bonding.

I highly recommend the Glen-L Poxy Grip for bonding for its ease of use and strong bond. I didnt really notice any real difference in the different finishing resins but Poxy-Shield was cheaper. Im really looking forward to your Torpedo build. Since you are the first to build one I hope you document it well for future builders to reference.

Iggy

Post by Iggy » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:15 pm

Glen-L
West
East

They all worked for me. Whoever you use, by the bigger size, because you will use a LOT.
Ian (aka Iggy)
My Malahini Build

keith

Post by keith » Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:42 pm

I use West, because people on this site use it, and the local technical support is good.

I was using a local brand that was pre-geled (1:1) but that was an expensive way to go.

Shipping to NZ would have been prohibitively expensive, so I haven't gone for Glen-L stuff.
Building a Monaco....provisionally called "Serenity"
http://glen-l-monaco.blogspot.com/

Bill CNC

Post by Bill CNC » Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:21 pm

I use west systems for several reasons.

1). I use it at home and my job also, so when I buy it it's usually 5-10 gallons at a time.
2). The price is the same everywhere you go. West controls the price and if a dealer is selling at a different price, ... west will tell them to stop or stop selling it to that dealer altogether. I've seen it happen.

I have used U.S. Composites 635 resin in the recent past, it's similar to west systems but as a different mix ratio.

As for Glen-L resin, ... the need to buy Glens brand, just hasn't come up. I have to much resin around here and at work. I would like to try it sometime, as I am always looking to try new products to use at work and home to keep up with advancements, but the opportunity hasn't come up.

Bill
Bill

TNT Build, ... On Going, ... http://tinyurl.com/abmae64

The Freebie Zip, ... On Going, ...http://tinyurl.com/at3udss

Super Spartan Build "Miss Tripindicular", ... Completed, ...http://tinyurl.com/b488wsz

slug

Post by slug » Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:00 pm

I used MAS epoxy as I discovered they had developed a low toxin resin. I became sensitized to West system and was afraid I would be unable to build in wood.
I'm happy with the product ( 2 to 1 mix ) and haven't suffered any bad reactions so far. Just about finished with it :D .
I will say it is expensive and quite slow to set unless you run the temperature away up. Even then you're looking at a day before you can sand.

Doug

jeffh

Post by jeffh » Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:03 pm

I'm like Slug. I have a sensitivity to West and the Glen-L brand now. I have never had any allergic reactions to MAS...yet. I've used lots of MAS on several projects and it does dry crystal clear with no amine blush. I've also used West Six Ten thickened epoxy that comes in a tube like caulk. That stuff is real handy, but expensive. If you wear your respirator, gloves and some eye protection, you'll not have any problems becoming sensitized to any of these.
2011 MALAHINI - KICKED IN THE HEAD
I wake up with a 16ft woody every morning :)
Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=534DBtp1Cnc

jprice

Post by jprice » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:17 pm

I used Glen-L poxy shield for most of the hull, and then switched to MarinEpoxy for the encapsulation.
The Glen-L stuff is a great product. The only reason I switched is I wanted something with the slowest cure time possible (I work slow sometimes :wink: ) The MarinEpoxy slow hardener gives more than an hour of working time at 80 degrees.

Muellerd

Post by Muellerd » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:30 am

So many options!
Thinking of trying the Glen L Poxy grip for frame build up.
I wonder is there better shipping deals from store to store? Any experience with that?
Dennis
It's Just Wood and Nails...

Current Build -- Sabotina

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:51 am

I had great success with System Three General Purpose resin for laminating and coating. I had no amine blush using this product. I used System Three Gel Magic for joint glueing. System Three Quick Fair is great for fillets and general filling. In retro I would us the Glen L Poxy Grip because it is transparent and looks nicer in exposed joints where you would be able to see them. The Gel Magic works great but the color is a yellow opaque that does not look as nice as the clear amber of the Glen L product. The System Three Gel Magic Utah cartidges are also nice for jointing that will be covered. All these are available through Glen L.

Roberta :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Andy Garrett

Post by Andy Garrett » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:27 pm

Poxy-Grip. Love the stuff!

I intend to try it in knifemaking!
Andy Garrett

Perhaps the slowest Zip build in Glen-L history...

kens

Post by kens » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:39 pm

I have used the brands mentioned above, and agree with all posts.
But some one please tell me if you notice the same thing as me.
I used MAS once and it seemed as though I didn't need nearly as much filler for the MAS to bulk up. anyone else noticed this?
The MAS seems to be very thin when clear, however it bulks up fast with fillers.
Am I the only one to think this?
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:54 am

I've used Glen-L, West, East and MAS. All seem to do the job.

I am becoming sensitized to epoxy. MAS seems to affect me the least. MAS with slow hardner seems to have little or no amine blush. This is great if you can't recoat the next day.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Muellerd

Post by Muellerd » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:07 pm

I went with the Poxy Grip. Being a first time builder, I must say the Poxy Grip is easy to use and wow, very strong!
The working time was more than enough to glue up several joints at one time - no problems there.
Dennis
It's Just Wood and Nails...

Current Build -- Sabotina