cloudy epoxy

Problems, how to use. Also see: "EPOXY", in the left-hand column of the Home page.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, ttownshaw

Billy

cloudy epoxy

Post by Billy » Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:55 pm

Super stupid mistake, I was glassing the sides of my boat, and on the first side I put down the epoxy over the glass with roller don't ask why, I just was not thinking. on the 2nd side I used a plastic spreader, was a much nicer job. Looking at the boat in the shop under normal shop light both sides look Ok, but with the lights out and I shine a flashlight down the sides there is a definite difference, first one very cloudy 2nd side nice and clear down to wood, Is it that the roller worked air into the epoxy, could be acetone left over in the roller from an earlier job, I don't know. This, I'am sure will show up in the daylight when I get it outside, won't it. Has anyone recovered from this mistake before? I was hoping to belt sand back down to wood, and start over, using the same smoothy (plastic spreader) as I did for the 2nd side and bottom.Will I just make things worst if I try this?
working on a Tahoe 24

DaveLott

Re: cloudy epoxy

Post by DaveLott » Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:46 am

You definitely encapsulated air into the epoxy. The only remedy is to remove it.

Don't knock yourself. It is very very easy to do. The guys who paint over don't worry about it but for those that want clear wood, it can be a pain. We have all been there.
Dave

Riviera build - the Midnight Cry Project
Glen-L Sea Kayak
Mahalo Standup Paddleboard

Video of Midnight in Action

Few things in the world measure up to the thrill and satisfaction of boating in a boat that you built.

vupilot

Post by vupilot » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:33 am

You can use a heat gun to heat the epoxy and fiberglass and peel it all off.

Yes, i found the plastic spreader works best for fiberglass work as well.

fergal butler

Post by fergal butler » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:52 am

Yep your not the first and I'm sure not the last I have to do mine again :( as I'm just not happy with it and it seems to have gotten worse over time. I did a little test to remove it with the heat gun and it seemed to work fine, I'm also thinking of using peel ply on the next run has anyone used it ?

Bill CNC

Post by Bill CNC » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:05 am

On big layups, ... I ALWAYS use a urethane foam roller to first roll out the epoxy to wet out the glass. I then go over that with a squeegee to force the air out and rid the layup of the extra resin. It is them pushed into the next dry area and the process is started all over again.

The reason for applying the resin with the roller is, if you just pour on resin and start squeegeeing the layup, ... the glass will float and it will move all over the road making your layup a living hell, for the lack of a better term. The roller can move and spread the epoxy much more safely (cleanly) than the squeegee. The roller will get the glass to stay put and then the squeegee removes the air. Think of it like you would to applying vinyl lettering or water slide decals.

Bill
Bill

TNT Build, ... On Going, ... http://tinyurl.com/abmae64

The Freebie Zip, ... On Going, ...http://tinyurl.com/at3udss

Super Spartan Build "Miss Tripindicular", ... Completed, ...http://tinyurl.com/b488wsz

jamundsen

Post by jamundsen » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:08 am

I have used only the rollers from
Glen l . So far so good. But soon I plan on doing the deck. How go you use the plastic spreader to prevent ridges from the spreader? Any pictures?
John Amundsen
Monte Carlo
Lakeland,Fl

Work tends to get in the way of boat building

Billy

Post by Billy » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:46 am

I hadn't thought about a heat gun, I will try that, anything to make it easier and there will be no dust.When I was spreading out the glass I had no problem with the cloth moving, so I thing I will stick to the plastic smoothly. Putting down a coat of epoxy first is a good idea except I could see myself laying the glass on top of the tacky epoxy and getting it stuck all over everywhere,.Wiping the resin on with a smoothly worked well it just wasted a lot of epoxy by it dripping onto the floor before I could catch it. Thanks for the encouraging replies. About the ridges, yes, there where some left after the 3rd coat of epoxy, but my plan was to scrape them off with a cabinet scraper and then wet sand everything down to prep for bottom paint and also varnishing the sides, when I do get to that point.
working on a Tahoe 24

fergal butler

Post by fergal butler » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:59 am

With the heat gun you won't get dust so to say but you do get very fine splinters of glass spitting at you so cover up well and try not to leave any exposed skin or eyes :D

pauloman

Post by pauloman » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:53 am

epoxies will turn white if the get moisture on them during a critical period after application. this is much more than amine blush - even non blushing epoxies have this happening. Common cause is dew or condensation (or even bird pee or splashing from a nearby swimming pool). Might be just the right combination of events for that one side.... There is no fix other than removal.

Return to “Epoxy”