System 3 C.P.E.S.

Problems, how to use. Also see: "EPOXY", in the left-hand column of the Home page.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, ttownshaw

JasonG

System 3 C.P.E.S.

Post by JasonG » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:54 am

I'm about to start finishing the bottom of the Dyno-jet and as I was researching what and where to buy, I read that system3 makes a clear penetrating epoxy sealer and the manufacturer states that it can be sprayed on. I'm intrigued by this but I've always heard that spraying epoxy is a bad idea. I've never worked with any kind of c.p.e.s. so I don't know what to think!
Has anyone tried this??

http://www.systemthree.com/store/pc/S-1-Sealer-c32.htm

Jason

DaveLott

Re: System 3 C.P.E.S.

Post by DaveLott » Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:16 am

I have no doubt it can be sprayed for it is that thin but it is NOT necessary nor do I recommend it. The stuff is super thin and a little goes a long ways. Use a foam hot dog roller and go at it. Work fast and don't let it run if you stained. It will pick up the stain and make runs. You will need to apply at least 3-4 coats for you want the wood to be totally saturated. I highly recommend to everyone to seal their bilge with CPES before they paint or varnish. It will get into every crack and crevice due to how thin it is . I call this insurance for the areas where we did not get a good epoxy seal.

Why not spray? The stuff stinks bad enough and you must wear an organic mask when applying it. Why put the stuff in the air. It also evaporates FAST. Spraying would only accelerate the process and put more in the air. Be sure your shop is well ventilated with fans providing exhaust. I actually installed fans to blow across my boat out the garage door to try to keep the fumes in the house as low as possible.

That being said, their is no better product for sealing wood. It will penetrate down into the fibers and seal it for good.

I have been told by some "others" that thinning regular epoxy with acetone does the same thing. I tried and, no, it does not.
Dave

Riviera build - the Midnight Cry Project
Glen-L Sea Kayak
Mahalo Standup Paddleboard

Video of Midnight in Action

Few things in the world measure up to the thrill and satisfaction of boating in a boat that you built.

JasonG

Post by JasonG » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:17 am

Thank you Dave for sharing your insight. I am going to take your advice and use the c.p.e.s. on my hull. I was planning on ising my spray gun to apply it, but I think you're right- theres no point in putting all that stuff out in the air. So I will put the spray gun down and step away...
I have tried thinning epoxy with acetone with my model boats and your right- the results are iffy at best.
Thanks again- I' m off to get some cpes!

Jason

Denon Osterman

Post by Denon Osterman » Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:12 pm

Hey guys, sorry if I'm hijacking the thread a tiny bit, but I was wondering if anyone knew when to apply epoxy over the C.P.E.S.? I'm using the same system 3 stuff with MAS resin over it for fiberglass. I'd like to do it within 24 hours so I can get a chemical bond with the c.p.e.s. but I'm worried that I have to let the cpes dry completely (read: solvents evaporate completely) before I seal it all under a layer of epoxy. Anyone know the correct/best way to do this?

Thanks!
Denon

DaveLott

Post by DaveLott » Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:26 pm

CPES dries really fast. I have applied as many as 4 coats in one day.. You would have no trouble applying MAS LV over it in just a few hours.

FYI - It is recommended that you continue applying coats of CPES until the wood does NOT absorb any more and you have a light sheen over the wood entirely. Only then is the wood sealed. In fact, there are many professional guys that will varnish right over CPES.
Dave

Riviera build - the Midnight Cry Project
Glen-L Sea Kayak
Mahalo Standup Paddleboard

Video of Midnight in Action

Few things in the world measure up to the thrill and satisfaction of boating in a boat that you built.

thudpucker

Post by thudpucker » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:07 pm

I used CPES from "Smith" in CA on a Tolly craft. It's a long story, but the part you want to know about follows:

Don't spray. Use a Brush or a Roller.
The whole idea is to keep it wet so the CPES sinks in as far as it will go. Give the boat all it wants. Plan on taking your time and don't stop for lunch. keep at it till you run out of stuff or the boat won't take any more!
There wont be much to clean up.

Then you give it all time to dry. Tacky to the Touch is what I used as a guide. Put a fan inside to help shorten that time.
I put a Gel coat with color right on top the Tacky CPES and all went well.

That CPES get's into and under anything. You'll have to sand it if you want a smooth surface. I didn't, I'm lazy, I just put the Gel coat on and it was just fine.

pauloman

Post by pauloman » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:46 am

that product (we don't mention their name) is mostly a blend of cheap solvents (69%) mixed with a bit of no info epoxy (31%) - so you are really spraying solvent all over the place. Urban Legend (don't know if true - probably not) has someone using that product in an boat engine room. Boat exploded from the fumes when the engine was started.

jprice

Post by jprice » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:54 am

Not sure what's considered a "cheap" solvent, but here's exactly what it contains:
http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/us ... _and_B.pdf

Old aussie

Post by Old aussie » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:43 pm

Thanks guys, you have just ansered all the questions that I was about to ask,

Old Aussie Peter........

Return to “Epoxy”