learning

Problems, how to use. Also see: "EPOXY", in the left-hand column of the Home page.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, ttownshaw

bob smith

learning

Post by bob smith » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:13 pm

I'm really happy with my first experiences with Poxy Shield. I'm using a ton of latex gloves, plastic cups and I'm on the second box of 1" chip brushes from the Peoples Republic of Harbor Freight. Keeping the batches small is the key. I haven't used the microspheres yet but have thickened with mahogany sawdust. Works great.
Also used some Sherwin-Williams Tile-Clad epoxy paint in the bilge. Great stuff but a bit pricey.
Bob Smith
Bob Smith
Chester, SC

scottinwv

Re: learning

Post by scottinwv » Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:47 am

Most (maybe all) epoxies can penetrate latex gloves. Over time you can become sensitized to epoxy to the extent that you have to quit using it altogether. It is best to use nitrile gloves.

Scott

jcallends

Post by jcallends » Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:01 am

Try vinyl or polyethylene gloves, both resist epoxy. I prefer the poly as they don't fit tight as the vinyl does which results in perspiration getting trapped inside.

bob smith

Post by bob smith » Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:18 am

Thanks,
The next box will not be latex although I change them so frequently the epoxy doesn't have much of a chance to seep through.
You need a respirator if you use the SW Tile-Clad.
Bob
Bob Smith
Chester, SC

dioxinman52

Post by dioxinman52 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:16 pm

You can buy nitrile gloves for $14/100 at Lowes. Little thin but cheap and workable. Latex is chemical and virus permeable; also potentiates allergies.
My day job: Associate Professor of Pharmacology. US Army Reserve Civil Affairs Officer

scottinwv

Post by scottinwv » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:49 pm

It takes the epoxy about 2 seconds to make its way through latex. If you feel a cool sensation, it has made its way through. With nitrile being so inexpensive, there is no reason to risk it to save a couple bucks.

pauloman

Post by pauloman » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:39 am

my epoxy mentor was the tech director and plant manager for intl paints before starting his own epoxy company. He was very aware of potential epoxy sensitivity concerns but had no problems with ordinary latex gloves. Of course most of these epoxies are solvent free. Might be a different issue if using solvent based coatings or epoxies.