Messy

Problems, how to use. Also see: "EPOXY", in the left-hand column of the Home page.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, ttownshaw

svenole

Messy

Post by svenole » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:12 am

:?: hi,i was alittle messy when i put my side panels on.can i sand my drips and smudges off :?: i put them on myself it wasnt easy! but it came out nice except for the messy epoxy or messy me :!: im useing Meranti and dont want to get low spots.

svenole

Re: Messy

Post by svenole » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:16 am

Scraper>then sand? :idea:

jprice

Post by jprice » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:24 am

I've found that a surform tool works pretty good for shaving down any epoxy drips/lumps.

svenole

Post by svenole » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:38 am

there not that bad >mostly smudges and i wiped the drips flat when they were wet >maybe if i sand them smoother they will just blend in with the first layer of epoxy coating? the smudges were made from epoxy made with wood flour and im useing Meranti ply and it is very dark with epoxy on it. maybe a heat gun uesd very carefully :?: :!: :idea:

svenole

Post by svenole » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:26 am

Then theres also high and low grain :!: ,i havent had help so i had to put glue on chine n sheers then the panels and pick it and clamp myself >they went on nice but messy!!!!!!!!!!!

kens

Post by kens » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:42 pm

When sanding epoxy lumps on bare wood, the wood is softer than the epoxy. So, you tend to sand low spot around the epoxy hump making it worse,
The thing to do is encapsulate all the wood so that you are sanding all epoxy, and you can sand off the high spots.

I also use a surform scraper, it works well on drips/boogers.
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

Ches T

Post by Ches T » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:41 pm

Where you wiped it smooth it will blend in, however you want to sand it before you recoat it so it will bond.
Ches

khundley

Post by khundley » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:21 am

Another great tool is to turn a standard stanley razor blade into a scraper. Ran a fresh new edge along the side of a vice or hardened steel tool to turn a bur, and VOILA! A perfectly good scraper for exactly what you are talking about, took seconds to make, and 100 of em is what, $5? One of the best tools in my shop for guitar building.....helps me avoid a substantial amount of sanding dust.
Ken Hundley
http://www.nocturnalguitars.com

So, my big brother was playing guitar and I figured I'd try it too.
- Stevie Ray Vaughan

Bill CNC

Post by Bill CNC » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:57 am

When sanding wood and epoxy drips combo, I mask off the area with 3-4 layers of masking tape, the 3M blue or green works great. As the drip gets knocked down, I remove a layer of tape for the amount of epoxy sanded. The final layer of tape is pulled and just a tiny amount of sanding is needed.

When sanding, ... Tape is your friend. :wink:

Bill
Bill

TNT Build, ... On Going, ... http://tinyurl.com/abmae64

The Freebie Zip, ... On Going, ...http://tinyurl.com/at3udss

Super Spartan Build "Miss Tripindicular", ... Completed, ...http://tinyurl.com/b488wsz

svenole

Post by svenole » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:57 pm

Thanks,im worried about ruining the Meranti>> pricey :!: ill practice on some scrap > its mostly smudges from my hands>> thanks