Measuring epoxy

Problems, how to use. Also see: "EPOXY", in the left-hand column of the Home page.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, ttownshaw

Two J's

Measuring epoxy

Post by Two J's »

I am well along on my Belle framing and it occurred to me that I might not be mixing the poxy-grip correctly. On the can it says mix equal parts but it dosen't say by weight or volume. I thought I read somewhere here that someone had purchased a scale from Harbor Freight and used it to measure by weight. I did the same but today when I checked my remaining epoxy it looks like I am using the hardener somwhat faster than the epoxy. This means the densities are not the same. Maybe someone can set me straight on this. I don't want my boat to desolve in the middle of the lake.

Jim

lakeracer69

Re: Measuring epoxy

Post by lakeracer69 »

I mix by volume and have never had a problem. I also use 60cc syringes from the Vet supply house. I can accurately mix small amounts with ease.

HTH
As Conan the Barbarian says, " It's not how hard you can hit, it's how hard you can get hit and remain standing".

jcallends

Post by jcallends »

Equal parts means equal volume, if you were to weigh equal volumes you wouldd find that the hardener is about 10% lighter than the resin.

galamb

Post by galamb »

If you are mixing 1:1 ratio's it's kinda difficult to jigger it up because if you go say 48:52 it's more than likely close enough.

It's when you are working with 5:1 mix rates that it becomes far more critical (which is why the dispensing pumps are so popular), but at 1:1 I would just go for it by volume - even if you went by weight you would still probably end up fine...
Graham

Yes, Plywood is "real" wood :)

A "professional" is someone who gets paid for their work - it doesn't necessarily mean they are good at it :)

Bill CNC

Post by Bill CNC »

galamb wrote:which is why the dispensing pumps are so popular
You should double check your mixing pumps by weight every now and then, even if they are brand new. I had a glass job that had a critical due date that was easy enough to hit, ... until one of my pumps was not pumping correctly. The job was last year at the end of December so the cold was effecting the cure which was hiding the real problem. Heaters were used to help the cure but it cured on the outside to touch, and was soft on the inside.

The company that I buy my bulk glass and resin from had a piece of it analyzed by their chemist and it was found to have the wrong mix ratio. Now I have been laying glass for 35 years so I dont know how that would be, so I brought them the pumps, ... They found them to be defective.

Ever since then, ... I check my pumps before I start for that day and have never had an issue since.
Bill

TNT Build, ... On Going, ... http://tinyurl.com/abmae64

The Freebie Zip, ... On Going, ...http://tinyurl.com/at3udss

Super Spartan Build "Miss Tripindicular", ... Completed, ...http://tinyurl.com/b488wsz

Two J's

Post by Two J's »

Thanks for the heads up guys. I'm strictly equal volumes now.

Jim

Return to “Epoxy”