Second coat of fillet?

Problems, how to use. Also see: "EPOXY", in the left-hand column of the Home page.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, ttownshaw

myobrien

Second coat of fillet?

Post by myobrien » Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:38 pm

Hello:

I'm building a S&G Sabotina (first build). I filleted the keel and it has set. Reviewed the plans and discovered that they recommend a 4" fillet for the keel and mine is only 2"-3". Can I do a second coat of fillet over the cured first coat? Thanks in advance for your help!

Regards,

Mike

Grand Chillin

Re: Second coat of fillet?

Post by Grand Chillin » Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:41 pm

First check the plans and see if that's not 4" tape over the fillet instead of a 4" fillet. That is a big fillet. You can go over the first coat. Just rough it up with sandpaper first.
A secret to a good marriage is to have a quick mind and a slow mouth!!!

myobrien

Post by myobrien » Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:52 pm

Thanks for the quick response. Just checked plans and yes they say "2" beyond each side of the junction for 4" wide total" and 5" of tape. Most of my fillet is about 3", so I think I'll stick with that.

Thanks,
Mike

pauloman

Post by pauloman » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:08 am

I always found that I would epoxy/fiberglass tape the inside seams of my small stitch and glue projects and then just use the fillet to give a smooth and attractive look to the seam rather than the rough uneven and bumpy surface left behind by the epoxy and fiberglass tape. Sure the fillet adds strength but the epoxy and fiberglass cloth seem to provide all the real strength needed for a small boat. I don't even tape the outside seam (too hard to hide the fiberglass cloth 'bulge'), and sanding it smooth tends (in my case) to sand off/away the fiberglass I put on the outside anyway. I do fill the outside seem with thickened epoxy (and I've had some huge open seams when poor cutting and measuring).