Epoxy Mixing Cups - Reccomendations

Problems, how to use. Also see: "EPOXY", in the left-hand column of the Home page.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, ttownshaw

mrintense

Epoxy Mixing Cups - Reccomendations

Post by mrintense » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:40 pm

I anticipate having a need for quite a few mixing cups for epoxy. When I worked for the airlines, we used unwaxed mixing cups. I've been looking for them and found a source through Aircraft Spruce & Specialty however, the quantity for the price is a little less than I would like. I was wondering if anyone knows a source.

I figure 8 to 10 ounce cups for some smaller jobs and 16 ounce for the larger jobs. I think anything larger and the risk of the resin kicking off before I am finished is too high.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Bill Edmundson

Re: Epoxy Mixing Cups - Reccomendations

Post by Bill Edmundson » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:48 pm

I use plastic frozen Chinese Food containers, plastic drink cups & mini aluminum bread pans. With the heavier plastic containers you can just pop the unused epoxy out and reuse. The bread tins reuse them until they fill up too much and throw them away.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Trackhappy
Location: Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia. Building Gentry.

Post by Trackhappy » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:51 pm

Main comment I have is to get bigger diameter bases. I have found that with normal cups in even small batches it gets pretty warm pretty quick and you can't or don't want to get it onto the surface fast enough to avoid lumps forming as it gets hot. I tend to use plastic food service containers (Chinese food containers over here) for all but the smallest batches as the large surface area helps keep it cool. They come in smaller cylindrical and larger rectangular sizes. Also note that the epoxy can usually be peeled or broken off quite easily as it won't stick to the smooth plastic, so one container gets used 3-4 times before you crack it and have to throw it away. I also bought a box of 100 tongue depressors for about ten bucks and just give the end a tickle up on the sanding disc to an angled bevel for stirring and spreading.

:)
By the time I have built a boat, I'll be ready to build a boat....

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:01 pm

Bill Edmundson wrote:I use plastic frozen Chinese Food containers, plastic drink cups & mini aluminum bread pans. With the heavier plastic containers you can just pop the unused epoxy out and reuse. The bread tins reuse them until they fill up too much and throw them away.

Bill

I'm trying to picture these Bill. The only Chinese food containers I am familiar with are the cardboard takeout boxes with folding lids. I know those won't work and I don't think that's what you meant.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Grand Chillin

Post by Grand Chillin » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:12 pm

I use small plastic cocktail cups from the grocery store.
A secret to a good marriage is to have a quick mind and a slow mouth!!!

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:22 pm

Grand Chillin wrote:I use small plastic cocktail cups from the grocery store.
I've considered the regular plastic drinking cups but I felt that they would be problematic when the resin gets hot. However, I think you are talking about the thicker harder plastic cocktail cups. I will explore this option tomorrow. I've also found that O'Reilly auto Parts ells the plastic mixing cups for 49 cents each. Pricey if you use once and throw away. But if they can be used three or four times each, the price becomes reasonable. So I will be exploring that option tomorrow as well.

Trackhappy, I hear you about the wider bases. The cups from Aircraft Spruce are wide base cups and if I felt like waiting a week to get them delivered, I might go that route. But I'm on vacation this week and would like to get some epoxy work done so ordering cups online is rather less desirable. Besides, there is shipping to pay as well.

I mentioned in another response that I am not sure what the Chine Frozen Food containers look like. I've never bought frozen Chinese Frozen food so I have no experience with these.

Thanks everyone for the quick responses. I have a couple of options to look into at least.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Trackhappy
Location: Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia. Building Gentry.

Post by Trackhappy » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:23 pm

Rectangular version....
Chines Container.jpg
Epoxy mixing container
Chines Container.jpg (2.43 KiB) Viewed 7805 times
By the time I have built a boat, I'll be ready to build a boat....

lakeracer69

Post by lakeracer69 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:19 pm

Just use the cups from like a keg party. Cut them down a bit and there you go. Don't over think it.
Actual measurement and mixing thoroughness are more important.

YMMV
As Conan the Barbarian says, " It's not how hard you can hit, it's how hard you can get hit and remain standing".

Lowka53

Post by Lowka53 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:27 am

8) I have done all my epoxy mixing in cheap throw away plastic party cups I did my measurements in two separate measuring cups then pour both into the party cups to mix then use. not rocket science :wink:
Don't be afraid to attempt anything. You might surprise your self in the attempt.
http://www.facebook.com/Home.Made.Boat.Building
Bon Voyage-"Wild Flower" 40' house boat being built
14' Mr John-being built
32' Supper Huck-in design

Rod H

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:49 am

I have been doing the same as Lowka53. No problems at all.

Bryan
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:01 am

Okay ! Okay! :lol:

I admit, I am over thinking this. :oops: It does seem that the plastic party cups will be fine as long as the resin doesn't get the opportunity to get too hot. And, if it does, well, I'll just put in in something until it cools down. Besides that, I intend on making ever effort to use this stuff in small quantities at any given time. Damn expensive stuff!

I do like the price on those plastic cups. :)

As for measuring and mixing, that's not a problem. I already own a digital scale for measuring by weight and I am well experienced with the requirements for mixing . Thanks again for the responses.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

jamundsen

Post by jamundsen » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:47 am

`for small quanties I use the 1 oz plastic med cups. I get them at the medical supply store for $3 for 100.
John Amundsen
Monte Carlo
Lakeland,Fl

Work tends to get in the way of boat building

khundley

Post by khundley » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:55 am

We like cottage cheese in our family, and I use them for mixing epoxy, mixing laquer, or any other number of things that need mixing. They work well, and are a comfortable size to hold, mix, and work with.
Ken Hundley
http://www.nocturnalguitars.com

So, my big brother was playing guitar and I figured I'd try it too.
- Stevie Ray Vaughan

Bob Maskel

Post by Bob Maskel » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:58 pm

I use the leftover Jello pudding cups....
Bob
Sea Knight on the water/Malahini in progress

BayouBengal

Post by BayouBengal » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:39 am

I use cheap disposable plastic cups of varying sizes, but particularly like the wider shorter cocktail cups. To get a more accurate mix, I mix by weight instead of volume and I mix everything on the scale with a calculator nearby. I weight the cup and zero the scale. Put in some part A, then calculate the total weight I should come to with the part A and B mixed together, then slowly add the part B to reach that weight. If working with small volumes, use a syringe to add your part B so you can control it. Very easy to do and everything can be done in a single cheap unmarked throw-away cup.

If working with a paste or putty mix, immediately remove it from the cup once mixed and move it to a scrap board so that it's not confined in the cup and more air flow can get to it; then, work it on to the boat with a trowel from there. Getting it out of the cup and spreading it on the scrap board really helps delay it from hardening up too soon. For liquids, as soon as possible after mixing, get it out of the cup by pouring it into a disposable roller pan or directly onto the boat surface and then spread it from there.