Can I use PC-11 Marine Epoxy as structural glue?!

Problems, how to use. Also see: "EPOXY", in the left-hand column of the Home page.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, ttownshaw

Al-Bahi

Can I use PC-11 Marine Epoxy as structural glue?!

Post by Al-Bahi » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:45 am

Hi everybody,

I'd like to build a 14' Zip and did intensive material search in the local market (I live in Bahrain). I was very lucky with lumbers, plywood and fasteners. However, The fiberglass cloth, epoxy resin and glue didn't go as lucky!!
The best epoxy glue for submerged marine applications I was able to find on the island is PC-11. Here is a link to the product page with physical properties and test results:

http://www.pcepoxy.com/our-products/pas ... /pc-11.php

Is this epoxy glue suitable for my project?!

Really appreciate any feedback regarding this matter. I know there are hundreds of brands out there in the U.S. but over here my options are very limited.

PS: I thought of ordering some epoxy from Glen-L despite the expensive shipping cost, but I found out that I can't import chemicals for personal/individual uses.

Thanks in advance for your help.

matt167

Re: Can I use PC-11 Marine Epoxy as structural glue?!

Post by matt167 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:44 pm

I have some of that stuff on the shelf. Probably 5 year old tube because it's worthless for almost everything.. It may work for what you want, but as a structural glue joint I would not recommend it. It IS a true epoxy mix, I just don't know if it will flow and press like thickened epoxy

Al-Bahi

Re: Can I use PC-11 Marine Epoxy as structural glue?!

Post by Al-Bahi » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:34 pm

Hi matt,

Thanks for your input. I use PC products all the time for years now and they never let me down. I tried to search the market again for better epoxy adhesive as I did years ago but I couldn't find better than this for marine purposes. The closest waterproof (as they claim) is Titebond III which is one-part glue. I use Titebond products too when I need yellow glue for woodworking because it is cheaper (PC products here is about 3x their prices in the states).

I tried to find any test results for the Poxy Grip to compare numbers. I'm sure PC-11 will survive under salty water as well under direct sun. However, I'm not sure it has enough strength required for building the Zip.

Thanks again for your post.