Epoxy glue for frames & screw size

Problems, how to use. Also see: "EPOXY", in the left-hand column of the Home page.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, ttownshaw

Jimbob

Epoxy glue for frames & screw size

Post by Jimbob » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:35 am

I want to get started on my barrel back frames this weekend. Don't want to order the kit from Glen L at this time. Any recommendations for a good epoxy glue that I can pickup locally? Also I want to pickup some bronze screws to attach the gussets (1/2) to the 3/4 mahogany frames. 1 inch #8 screws sound right? (don't want to order that kit yet either).

Thanks,

Jim Neeley
Jim Neeley
Building a Barrelback in Sacramento, CA
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28089#p172969

fredt

Re: Epoxy glue for frames & screw size

Post by fredt » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:45 am

Jim

You can find epoxy resin and slow hardener at your local west marine shop. For gluing your frames yow will also need some filler to create a glue (thicken) for your epoxy . They should have that also.

The first thing I ordered from glen l was the fasteners. Finding the sizes you need at a walk in outlet may be a problem for you. Possibly if you have the old fashion hardware store, you know, the ones that actually wait on you, they might have bronze screws. Others may know of retailers that have them.

Great success on your build.

Jimbob

Post by Jimbob » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:34 am

Thanks!

I went ahead and ordered glue and fasteners from glen l. Local vendors have to order bronze screws and the marine shops are not that familar with epoxy glue. Looks like glen l is a better deal anyway.

Jim
Jim Neeley
Building a Barrelback in Sacramento, CA
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28089#p172969

fredt

Post by fredt » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:56 pm

Think you made a great decision. You're building the foundation for your boat here.

Good luck with your build.