Using epoxy in a poorly insulated garage during winter

Problems, how to use. Also see: "EPOXY", in the left-hand column of the Home page.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, ttownshaw

nivek

Using epoxy in a poorly insulated garage during winter

Post by nivek » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:53 pm

I would like to start my first boat project this weekend and winter is approaching quickly. I've never worked with epoxy!
I heat my garage with a kerosene heater. On a 30 degree day, I can get the garage heated to 72 degrees at best.
Whenever I need to spray or use flammable material, I kill the heater, do my work, and then turn the heater back on as quickly as I can. And of course I’m always concerned about circulating fresh air. But the 70 degrees becomes 50 degrees pretty quickly when I turn off the heater.
Does anyone foresee any problems working with epoxy in this environment?
Any input would be much appreciated!

mrintense

Re: Using epoxy in a poorly insulated garage during winter

Post by mrintense » Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:47 pm

Two problems that I can see. The first and easier to fix is the temp of the epoxy. If kept in the garage, it will normally be cold and even heating the garage up will take some time before the epoxy itself is warmed up. You could keep it in the house and solve this problem.

The bigger problem is the wood. If wood is frozen (at night), it might take a good part of the day in a heated garage before it's warm enough to work with. There will also be condensation issues to wok around. People have done what you are talking about and perhaps they will chime in here. I live in a warmer environment where it rarely gets its into the 30's in winter. I know on those days that I am not going to do any epoxy work.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:02 pm

nivek

First, I keep my resin & hardener in a heated area 68 to 70 F. Use a faster hardener. The resin will finally go off. I put used brushes wrapped in the freezer over night. But, the resin will be hard in a day or two.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

kens

Post by kens » Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:38 am

for small parts/pieces a localized heat lamp works, or hanging parts over any small heater.
A old electric blanket can cover a larger area too.
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll: