Novice Epoxy Question

Problems, how to use. Also see: "EPOXY", in the left-hand column of the Home page.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, ttownshaw

psaam

Novice Epoxy Question

Post by psaam » Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:17 pm

I'm building up my courage to start fiberglassing and encapsulating the plywood pieces of the kidyak that I am building but have some real basic questions that I thought I should ask. For those not familiar the kidyak is a stitch and glue kayak. In making from a single piece of plywood, there are certain pieces that need to be bonded together prior to full assembly. In addition the instructions recommend encapsulating all parts with epoxy prior to assembly. I think I have a handle on thickened and unthickened epoxy and when to use each, but have some more basic questions:

-What do I lay down underneath whatever I am encapsulating or bonding to ensure the parts don't bond to my work table? All instructions seems to assume I already know the basics of this. I've seen references to wax paper and cardboard. Is either acceptable? Is there a preferred method?
- How many coats of expoxy encapsulation do I need to do? I've seen recommendation for at least three? Is that accurate?

Thanks in advance,

Paul

mrintense

Re: Novice Epoxy Question

Post by mrintense » Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:23 pm

Use wax paper to prevent bonding. Cardboard will bond so you don't want to use that. Depending upon where you are doing this, I would recommend putting something to protect the floor from drips and spills.

Three coats is the minimum for encapsulation. I found it to be sufficient on my own build. Depending upon how you plan on finishing the parts, you will want to sand between coats for a smoother finish. But be sure to clean off any amine blush *BEFORE* sanding. Warm soapy water and a sponge works great for this.

Finally, I would highly suggest a practice run or two to perfect your technique.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

psaam

Post by psaam » Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:27 pm

Thanks Carl. Yes, I will definitely try some test parts in advance, though there isn't that much plywood left over after the shape cutting. Also have had non-stick aluminum foil recommended. Any pros/cons for aluminum foil vs. wax paper?

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:48 pm

I haven't tried foil but I can see two disadvantages. It's more expensive than wax paper and you can't see through it. I get my wax paper at Walmart. It's cheap enough to be inconsequential.

The only downside to wax paper I can see is that tape doesn't stick to it as well.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

vupilot

Post by vupilot » Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:53 pm

I like to use wax paper. Epoxy will stick to about anything but if you only have the wet edges touch the wax paper it comes right off.

When fiberglassing, I like to encapsulate one coat on the bare exterior first then sand smooth again before I proceed with the fiberglassing. I feel it helps keep the thirsty wood from absorbing too much epoxy and sucking that epoxy away from the fiberglass and having a dry spot develop after you have walked away to let it cure. I just think its easier to get uniform results that way but if you are painting the kidyak hull its not really a concern if you get a blemish or two in the fiberglass since the paint will cover them nicely.

cusoak

Post by cusoak » Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:37 am

Depending on who's epoxy you are using, you might try going to there web site and seeing if they have a video on fiber glassing. I know if you go to West system epoxy site they have such a video. If you use there 207 resin and 105 hardner then there is little chance of blushing as it dries clear.
Jeff

pauloman

Post by pauloman » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:12 pm

Better to use thick plastic vs wax paper. Always a concern about leaving some wax on the epoxy surface (and do use a non blushing epoxy)

first sealing coat of epoxy can be solvent thinned to help soak in a tiny amount. At least two coats needed unless under more epoxy and fiberglass cloth then just the one 'tie' coat is fine.

Paul Oman - MS. MBA
A.K.A. “Professor E. Poxy”
epoxies since 1994
Member: NACE (National Assoc. of Corrosion Engineers) -- SSPC (Soc. of Protective Coatings)