Long Term Epoxy Life

Problems, how to use. Also see: "EPOXY", in the left-hand column of the Home page.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, ttownshaw

deebrat

Long Term Epoxy Life

Post by deebrat » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:04 am

This forum has a lot of very informative tips on using epoxy in warm weather when building.
But before I start a major project I would like to know people's experiences with epoxy glued, encapsulated and coated boats 5 or 10 or more years after completion. Assuming a good UV protective coating is maintained on top, what happens to the surface and strength after 5 years of temperature and humidity changes. Does the underlying wood shrink in low humidity (like we have in Arizona) and cause cracking or delamination or are a fully encapsulated structure and planking as resistant to the ravages of time as a regular fiberglass boat?
Once I'm comfortable with the long term life of my boat then I can start obsessing about which design and "size matters" issues.

Bill Edmundson

Re: Long Term Epoxy Life

Post by Bill Edmundson » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:10 am

deebrat

There are so many issues and variables here that it is hard to answer. The Tahoe was launched Aug. '08. So, far no problems and it is clearcoated over the epoxy. Our humidity is very high. Another variable is amine blush. If you don't get it off then you can have layers delaminate. If you paint a dark color, then you will have more heat problems than white.

Epoxy is tuff stuff, done right. How you store the boat is just another...

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

deebrat

Re: Long Term Epoxy Life

Post by deebrat » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:08 pm

Thank you Bill for the input. Six years and still solid is a good testimony to both the design and the builder. I saw you build photos and your work was excellent. The Tahoe is on my short list. Hopefully there are some dry climate boats out there to hear from too. Right now it is 5% humidity in Phoenix. And it's not even hot yet - only 78. 98 is forecast for Saturday.