Glen-l epoxy compatible with RAKA?

Problems, how to use. Also see: "EPOXY", in the left-hand column of the Home page.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, ttownshaw

tug

Glen-l epoxy compatible with RAKA?

Post by tug » Fri May 09, 2014 4:55 am

I'm wondering if the glen-l epoxy is compatible with RAKA? I started with glen-l for the inside fillets and I have about a gallon left but with my current financial situation I cannot afford the epoxy and glass from glen-l. Can I use RAKA? Will it bond mechanically to the glen-l stuff? I don't have the best understanding of epoxies, other than how to use them, so I would appreciate any help!

Bill Edmundson

Re: Glen-l epoxy compatible with RAKA?

Post by Bill Edmundson » Fri May 09, 2014 6:41 am

Most of us have tried various epoxies. I have not heard of any problems. Just don't mix the products together.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

tug

Post by tug » Fri May 09, 2014 8:38 am

Thanks! If I started wetting out the glass with the glen-l stuff would I be able to fill with RAKA?

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Fri May 09, 2014 9:57 am

I'm not sure on that one. You really need the chemical bond on the fill coats since you can't sand down in the weave for a mechanical bond. Also, you have to consider amine blush if you wait to fill.

Maybe someone else can jump in here with more info.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

galamb

Post by galamb » Fri May 09, 2014 4:36 pm

I have interchanged between E.A.S.T, West system and Epoxy plus (house brand from Clark Craft) and haven't had an issue with one bonding mechanically to the other.

And I have bonded EAST onto West (sounds like a geography lesson here) when they were "green" (ran out of West after a first coat and had to make a quick run to the local supply shop who didn't have any West in stock) and didn't see an issue BUT it was in a non-structural location so kinda difficult to tell if they "really" chemically bonded to each other "well" or just good enough that one didn't separate from the other.

Having said all that, if you are talking about fill coats over glass cloth I personally WOULD NOT mix/match brands.

The EAST is far more "stiff" than the WEST which is way "stiffer" than the Epoxy plus, so they will flex/move differently and I would be worried about them moving at different rates when the hull flexed which could result in spider cracks which would look bad enough from a cosmetic standpoint, but could potentially result in moisture penetration (really bad).

At least that would be my concern, warranted or not.
Graham

Yes, Plywood is "real" wood :)

A "professional" is someone who gets paid for their work - it doesn't necessarily mean they are good at it :)

tug

Post by tug » Fri May 09, 2014 6:52 pm

Very very helpful info! Thanks again. Looks like I'm ordering more epoxy and in the grand scheme of things it's but a drop in the bucket. I guess I was just being wishful, haha!!!