Epoxy coatings

Problems, how to use. Also see: "EPOXY", in the left-hand column of the Home page.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, ttownshaw

Redleg

Epoxy coatings

Post by Redleg » Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:37 pm

Is it necessary or recommended to coat the inside of the hull with epoxy? I plan to apply three coats of epoxy and some 4 ounce cloth to the outside of my hull sheathed with 3/8" plywood. I plan to coat the inside of the floor and deck with a marine grade non-skid coating. Could I paint the inside of the hull with urethane paint to seal the wood and protect it? :?:

gdcarpenter

Re: Epoxy coatings

Post by gdcarpenter » Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:35 pm

Don't know what you are building, but I feel that ALL wood should be 'waterproofed' inside and out, it is a boat after all, unless it will be a 'show piece' only.

Never used it but some swear by CPES for 'sealing' wood, but you really can't go wrong by 'encapsulating' the interior with epoxy, with the caveat that the epoxy needs to be covered with 'varnish' for UV protection. If you have researched and feel comfortable using a non-skid coating inside that may well be fine.

By far and large there are few if any 'absolutes' - though some may differ. Depending on you ability, patience, pocketbook and expectations go with what seems right for you.
This is my first, last and only boat build.

http://www.gdzipbuild.blogspot.com

cusoak

Post by cusoak » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:06 am

Well I have used CPES. It will take a piece of 3mil marine plywood and make it very hard. It soaks in to the wood and glues the fibers together. Any way I would seal the plywood on the inside with something. I will make it a whole lot easier to keep clean.
I used epoxy on the inside of my zip and CPES on the inside of my 1966 Century Resorter covered with bilge paint.
Jeff

Redleg

Post by Redleg » Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:22 pm

I am building a Jon Boat (poor mans Bass Boat), 16' long X 48" bottom width and 68" beam width. I built a frame for the boat to give me a raised platform at the front to fish from, with a built in live-well and storage compartments below. If I use epoxy on the inside which has to be applied with a brush, I will undoubtedly have spots that I can't get to. But I could spray a urethane base paint or bilge paint to ensure that I get the coating into every nook and cranny. One condition of particular concern are the notches in the frames for water to pass through or the slots I routed in the bottom of the keel for water to pass through to get to the drain in the transom. I'm worried that I won't get the wood completely coated with epoxy in these little cavities.