Epoxy over faired surface before painting?

Problems, how to use. Also see: "EPOXY", in the left-hand column of the Home page.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, ttownshaw

BlueRidgeBoater

Epoxy over faired surface before painting?

Post by BlueRidgeBoater » Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:05 pm

I put 4 coats of epoxy on after fiberglassing my hull, then sanded it down good. I then applied some resin putty to small holes or other imperfections in the surface. After I sand that, do I need to do another coat of epoxy over the areas I used the putty on, or can I prime and then paint? I really don't want to have to do another coat of epoxy and then have to sand the whole surface again before priming and painting if I can avoid it. Thanks.

billy c

Re: Epoxy over faired surface before painting?

Post by billy c » Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:50 am

if you mean by "resin putty" epoxy with powdered filler added, you are all set.
GlenL recommends:
Before doing any finish work or applying finishes, allow the last coat of epoxy to cure 5 to 7 days at 70 degees F, longer at colder temperatures. Wipe down the hull with a water/ammonia dampened rag or sponge. This will eliminate the greasy feeling amine blush to make final finish sanding easier and minimize clogging of the abrasive.
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

BlueRidgeBoater

Re: Epoxy over faired surface before painting?

Post by BlueRidgeBoater » Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:00 pm

Yeah, I mixed some microspheres with resin and skimmed it over some small holes. So, should I wait 5-7 days from when I did the fairing? If so, that will work out okay because I want to paint this weekend.