Curing too fast

Problems, how to use. Also see: "EPOXY", in the left-hand column of the Home page.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, ttownshaw

frankp

Curing too fast

Postby frankp » Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:42 pm

How does one prevent the glen-l 2-part epoxy from setting to quickly? We are getting about 5 minutes before it hardens. Unfortunately we have the "fast cure" hardener. Any suggestions other than the obvious? I have three containers of the hardener and would rather use it before ordering more. Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

chugalug

Re: Curing too fast

Postby chugalug » Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:47 pm

:D Try putting it in paint tray spreading it out and cool it down.I liked the slow hardener better-had a longer work time.If you mix the epoxy with fast hardener and keep it in small cup ,it hardens up fast and gets really hot.don't burn yourself!! Glen-L has an awesome video on fibreglassing. :D
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:39 pm

Two other things you can try. First, keep the resin and hardener in the house when not using it. This keeps it cooler when you need to mix some up. This will help a little. The other thing is to do what Tim suggested (chugalug) but also if you have something larger you can lay the tray in, put some ice in it and lay the tray on top. This will also slow down the curing a bit.

However, with fast hardener, it is going to cure faster. If you can, try to keep your batch sizes small.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

chugalug

Postby chugalug » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:07 pm

:D read somewhere you can mix hardeners(fast and slow)might help out some if you get some slow hardener.

jamundsen

Postby jamundsen » Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:23 am

use the slow hardner. I had the same problem and ended up building a plastic covered shed like a greenhouse inside my hangar that I airconditioned. That worked pretty well. Of course the FLorida sun in the summer didnt help any.
John Amundsen
Monte Carlo
Lakeland,Fl

Work tends to get in the way of boat building

chugalug

Postby chugalug » Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:51 pm

:D I fibreglassed my boat last winter when the temp outside was -25 ! if the epoxy was setting up to fast,all I had to do was open both windows in boatshed :lol: :lol:

Bob Perkins

Postby Bob Perkins » Sat Jul 11, 2015 3:04 pm

Epoxy cures by generating its own heat (exothermic reaction)

The thicker it is in all directions (like in a cup vs. a pie plate) the more heat it generates.. heat = cures faster.
It is the exact opposite of latex paint... a gallon of opened paint will stay wet for hours/days.. put it on a wall and it dries very fast..
Mixed epoxy is the opposite.. thin stays wet... thick generates heat and cures fast!

so - spread in a pie plate to make it thin- it generates less heat on its own that way.

Also - just keep it cool - fridge - ice chest - etc..

and of course.. use slow harder if it is an option..

HTH
Regards,
Bob Perkins

All the Fun Stuff
https://bperkins.wordpress.com/

frankp

Postby frankp » Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:38 pm

Gentlemen - thanks for the advice!!!! Presents some interesting challenges while building a boat in Arizona where the ambient temperature is well over 105 all the time... Appreciate the feedback. The slow hardener arrived this week too.

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sun Jul 12, 2015 2:03 pm

Frankp

Another trick is to get two aluminum pie pans. Freeze some water in one then nest your resin pan in that. But, small batches is a key.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:31 pm

Frank,

I understand the heat problem. It regularly gets over 100 here in the Austin area starting around August. Even at lower temps, I have to strategically plan when I want to do epoxy work. When I was installing the plywood skins, It was a constant race to get completed before the epoxy begin to setup.

I can tell you that when you get to it, keep the jobs relatively small and have everything ready to go before you start. Practice any steps that might be a bit unclear. You'll probably have to do a few early (as in "O Dark Thirty") sessions on some jobs. If you can get a portable air conditioner, that helps tremendously with the comfort levels.

Good luck.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

bob smith

Postby bob smith » Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:41 pm

Although I did it solo, in retrospect a helper making up small batches as you are ready for them would make for an easier time of it.
"Honey, can you come out here for a minute?"
Bob Smith
Chester, SC

Return to “Epoxy”