Fair before another layer of glass?

Problems, how to use. Also see: "EPOXY", in the left-hand column of the Home page.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, ttownshaw

fishwipt

Fair before another layer of glass?

Post by fishwipt » Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:25 pm

Well i have trolled around here for awhile, and there is alot of great information.

My question and scenario, I am fiber glassing a hull, due to time and help constraints I did not get both layers of glass put on. I have the hull sanded down ready for the next layer, but am wondering? Should I go ahead and fair some of the low spots and seams with microballons now? or wait till after the next layer of glass.

I am using total boat epoxy.

Thanks in advance

Big Dog

Re: Fair before another layer of glass?

Post by Big Dog » Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:06 pm

I would fill the low spots first. You could use West Systems 410 filler with the epoxy as it is easier to sand. Be sure to knock down (sand) any high or rough spots too as this will make laying out the next layer of glass flat and smooth a lot easier. Wet sanding with a little water works best for me.

Before starting the new layer of glass cloth sure to clean the work area with water or alcohol or a mix of both and let it thoroughly dry before proceeding with new epoxy.

I lay down the fiberglass cloth and smooth it out, trim as required and then tape it in place with blue masking tape. I then add my epoxy resin and squeegee it into the cloth. It pushes out better when the area you are working on has been faired and is fairly smooth. New mistakes and low spots can still be fixed and faired later. When I get toward the end of the wet out I cut the taped area off with a razor knife and add a little epoxy to smooth the transition to the prior area that was covered by the edge of the tape.

Good luck!

Trackhappy
Location: Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia. Building Gentry.

Post by Trackhappy » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:15 pm

I agree with Big Dog. The flatter the surface, the easier to lay the next layer nicely without the glass lifting and creating a bubble underneath. In addition, the less filler on the top surface the better as the saturated glass adds more strength than the filler. You can sand down high spots until you hit glass, then stop and add filler or more glass to bring up the low spots. If you have a very low spot, I'd cut a shaped piece of glass and epoxy that in separately, rather than have the filler too thick. As he also said, clean it well and I would make sure to rough it up all over to ensure a good bond for the next layer.
Best of luck.
Glenn.
By the time I have built a boat, I'll be ready to build a boat....

fishwipt

Post by fishwipt » Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:06 pm

Thanks for the help!!!