GERONIMO more like moon craters vs bubbles

Problems, how to use. Also see: "EPOXY", in the left-hand column of the Home page.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, ttownshaw

bobinpowayca

GERONIMO more like moon craters vs bubbles

Postby bobinpowayca » Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:28 pm

Howdy, attached is a picture of my Geronimo with what was hopefully the last coat of resin before I paint. I'm using System 3 Silver Tip resin with slow hardener and yellow foam rollers. I put on two coats of resin, then the cloth, then about three more coats resin. The time before the last coat it came out with really bad orange peel, curtains, runs, etc. but sanded out nicely with my RO sander. So for the last coat I was real careful to put on a really thin coat, early in the am before it got hot. It came out a lot smoother but in some areas, notably the bow as shown in the up close picture, I got these "craters" that I've never seen before. It looks shiny except for these craters, some up to the size of a nickel, that appear to be dry in the centers.
Anyone encounter this? I hate to do yet another resin coat, I may just sand it down and start using paint now. The resin costs almost as much as the paint. I plan to use Pettit EZ poxy so hopefully (maybe) the paint will go on better than the resin does and I'll just do several coats of paint. Don't know yet if I'll roll and tip the paint or just do with a good brush. Thanks for any thoughts! Bob
Attachments
IMG_0387.JPG
look closely - like flying over the moon!
IMG_0388.JPG
looks pretty good from here
Bob

billy c

Re: GERONIMO more like moon craters vs bubbles

Postby billy c » Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:59 pm

hi Bob-
the system three book has some good info on that and much more
here is the link:
http://www.systemthree.com/reslibrary/literature/The_Epoxy_Book.pdf

...and some of the info re craters
Screen Shot 2015-09-08 at 5.56.08 PM.png
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

bobinpowayca

Postby bobinpowayca » Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:01 pm

Hello Billy, thanks a lot for the reference. I didn't realize System 3 had a book. Wow, that's an absolutely amazing boat you have built! Bob
Bob

billy c

Postby billy c » Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:17 am

bobinpowayca wrote:Hello Billy, thanks a lot for the reference. I didn't realize System 3 had a book. Wow, that's an absolutely amazing boat you have built! Bob

yes that has been a very good reference for me. i have used the System Three product on all my builds.
your boat has come along great! i would just sand the hull for paint, cleaning and recoating only the areas that are cratered.
...thanks for the kudos on the Belle, we've had a lot of enjoyment with her over the years :D
-Billy
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

Return to “Epoxy”