Silver tip really no blush?

Problems, how to use. Also see: "EPOXY", in the left-hand column of the Home page.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, ttownshaw

Adrock1

Silver tip really no blush?

Postby Adrock1 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:41 am

I'm getting ready to order my first batch of resin for my Overniter build. I've read good things about the System 3 silvertip product. In particular their claim of being blush free is really appealing. Is it true though? Is any expoy truly completely blush free.

Who has used it? Did you like it? A boat building project is a major expense so a few extra bucks on epoxy really doesn't mean much in the big scheme of things. If it's really a superior product I'm happy to spend a few more bucks for the convenience of use.

Dave Grason

Re: Silver tip really no blush?

Postby Dave Grason » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:08 am

Adrock1 wrote:
A boat building project is a major expense so a few extra bucks on epoxy really doesn't mean much in the big scheme of things..

These are some very true words. Usually, the man that will build a boat, as compared to the man who just wants to buy a boat and get out on the water quickly, is the man that will pay more to get more. And I think that this makes up the majority of boat builders on this forum. I have seen members speak of wanting to save money but I don't believe I've seen any that are willing to give up quality to save a few bucks here or there.

I have not used System 3 products and so, I cannot claim to be knowledgeable about it in particular. There are other epoxy manufacturers who make the same claims and so, you know that they can do it. The only real area where blush will be a concern will be those places where you want to have a bright finish on the boat. If you're going to paint over it, it won't matter if it blushes or not.

I'm chiming in on this thread because I appreciate your view point of not worrying about spending a little more. It is indeed insignificant in comparison to the overall project costs. I just wanted to say that.
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

Adrock1

Postby Adrock1 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:34 am

Dave, it just makes sense. I'll probably have about $10k I'm this boat by the time it's done. Just can't see the logic in skimping on the resin when the total cost of resin will only be a few hundred bucks. To me, if a few bucks additional cost yields better results or makes my job easier it's worth it. Just trying to figure out if the system three stiff really is all its cracked up to be.

And don't get me wrong, I'm a bargain hunter. Always looking to make my dollar go as far as I can. Gotta maintain some perspective though.

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:46 am

I used System 3 Silvertip to do the fiberglassing of my Vera Cruise. Compared to other epoxies I've used, it was far better. No blush that I could detect. Certainly if it's there, it could easily be removed with a quick wash. However there are other advantages as well. It smells a lot better than other resins and it seems to have a better pot life. It also doesn't seem to get as hot when curring. Best part is that it is clear (not yellow) so for encapsulation, it's great. I'll be using it exclusively for thinned epoxy applications for the remainder of my build.

Slight rephrase of last statement: I still have some other thin resins remaining which I will use up in applications where amine blush isn't an issue or I can easily clean it afterwards. No sense in wasting money already spent! :D

But for major uses such as encapsulation, Silver Tip all the way!
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

steveh41

Postby steveh41 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:07 pm

mrintense wrote: Compared to other epoxies I've used, it was far better. No blush that I could detect. Certainly if it's there, it could easily be removed with a quick wash. However there are other advantages as well. It smells a lot better than other resins and it seems to have a better pot life.

But for major uses such as encapsulation, Silver Tip all the way!

I agree completely with Carl... have used System 3 SilverTip products throughout my build including Gel Magic, Laminating Resin with and without fillers, EZ Fillet and Quick Fair. All have worked quite well. I'd recommend mixing by weight rather than volume to insure most consistent performance. No blush at all (as far as I could tell).
The longest journey begins with a single step… then repeat as necessary!

Adrock1

Postby Adrock1 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:41 pm

Great feedback guys. That settles it. Silvertip it is for this project. Was planning on using their other products as well so good to hear the gel magic and fairing compounds are good to go as well.

bobinpowayca

Postby bobinpowayca » Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:58 pm

Howdy, yeah I've been using the silver tip system, both the slow and fast hardeners, and it's worked really well. I agree, considering the labor involved, i'd want the best products whether it's house paint or my boat. Only problem I had was last week - and here I will tell you I am building my boat outside but under a good canopy-
I put the last finish coat of resin on around noon. In the evening it looked shiny and hard, so I left the boat uncovered (but still under a canopy). Well, next morning there was a coating of dew on it - but still, the resin looked shiny and brown underneath so I took my dog for a walk. When I got back, the dew was gone but I ended up with a chalky white coating on the deck. Long story short after talking to the tech reps, I ended up hand sanding it off twice with 80 grit, then 120 grit twice with my RO. Lesson - moisture will indeed screw up an epoxy finish, even if it looks to be cured. Bob
Attachments
IMG_0879.JPG
assistant has been no help whatsoever
Bob

Mark-NJ

Postby Mark-NJ » Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:22 am

They all blush.

Some more than others, but if there's moisture in the air, then an ::N-H forms on the surface. It's chemistry, and it's real.

Bottom line, you need to wash it off, which is simple to do. I surely wouldn't risk your paint not bonding by thinking that it's ok to skip the washing step.

Unless you live in the Sahara, plan on washing, regardless of whatever brand of epoxy you use.

Adrock1

Postby Adrock1 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:14 am

Mark-NJ wrote:They all blush.

Some more than others, but if there's moisture in the air, then an ::N-H forms on the surface. It's chemistry, and it's real.

Bottom line, you need to wash it off, which is simple to do. I surely wouldn't risk your paint not bonding by thinking that it's ok to skip the washing step.

Unless you live in the Sahara, plan on washing, regardless of whatever brand of epoxy you use.

Having used the silvertip now for a year on this project I will say that if silvertip blushes at all I sure can't detect it. I haven't washed the hull a single time and I've had no failures to bond at any point.

I'll say this. All my lamination was done wet on wet with few exceptions. In the cases I didn't do a.wet on wet application I let it cure fully and sanded before another application. I never detected and never washed off any blush.

My build has been going on in a garage sheltered from the weather and heated in the winter months so that helps. Although I will say there were more than a few days when it was foggy or raining outside and I still had no blushing issues. I'd just close the garage door and go at it.

So I won't disagree that it's possible for all epoxies to blush but it's definetly hard to get silvertip to do it. In fact, I've never been able to detect any at all. It's been a great product to work with.

Return to “Epoxy”