Poxy-Grip....how do I get it out of the can?

Problems, how to use. Also see: "EPOXY", in the left-hand column of the Home page.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, ttownshaw

Mark-NJ

Poxy-Grip....how do I get it out of the can?

Post by Mark-NJ » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:18 am

Serious question...no joke!

I bought the gallon kit of Poxy-Grip. Great stuff, and I'm getting excellent results. The cans each have about 3 -4 inches of product left. It's there, I can "dip stick" it to verify.

I'm stumped: how do I pour the remaining contents? The viscosity is so high, that it will not pour! Holding the cans inverted, this stuff is so thick that it just clings to the sides of the can. The more I've used, the slower it pours because the total weight of the contents has decreased.

Last night I mixed up about 4 ounces, and it took about 5 minutes to pour the hardener...about 2 minutes for the resin. It's coming out in a small drizzle, and there's no way to speed it up! (Ambient temp is mid-60s F).

I may just take a razorknife and cut the top half of the can completely off, but that seems a bit drastic.

Maybe can I "float" the cans in hot water to lower the viscosity?

What am I missing? The more I use, the less it will pour. There's got to be a method, no?

Gayle Brantuk

Re: Poxy-Grip....how do I get it out of the can?

Post by Gayle Brantuk » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:34 am

Mark,

It is thick stuff! You can put the cans in hot water to warm it up and that will help thin it.

Mark-NJ

Post by Mark-NJ » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:59 am

Good to know...thank you!

How hot is "too hot"?

vupilot

Post by vupilot » Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:17 am

At this point I would just drain the original cans completely into a new small container and cover between uses until its all used up.

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:21 pm

Setting it in hot tap water for about an hour should soften it up enough to pour out. Be aware that the warmed epoxy will fire off quicker and working time will be reduced. Best to have the slow hardener.
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Mark-NJ

Post by Mark-NJ » Thu May 05, 2016 5:49 pm

Great advice...thank you all!

I placed both cans in a bin full of hot tap water. Within 15 minutes, this stuff was flowing freely! It was about the consistency of maple syrup....very easy to manage.

Thanks for the tip...