How much epoxy?

Problems, how to use. Also see: "EPOXY", in the left-hand column of the Home page.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, ttownshaw

DrBryanJ

How much epoxy?

Postby DrBryanJ » Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:03 pm

I want to order the epoxy and cloth for my boat. Since I am not glassing the sides, I don't want to order the malahini fiberglass kit. I need 12 yds of fabric. According to a formula I found on line, I should need 1.36 gals of epoxy to lay down the fiberglass cloth and do two additional coats. Does that seem like the correct amount, or is it too little?
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."

mrintense

Re: How much epoxy?

Postby mrintense » Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:26 pm

hat seems low to me unless you are incredibly frugal. I went through 4 gallons on my vera cruise (4 coats) and I used thin foam rollers to apply. What does the kit say it includes?
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

DrBryanJ

Postby DrBryanJ » Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:39 pm

The kit includes about 4 gals, but that is for the sides as well. I'm only doing the bottom. The formula I used came from west systems: amount of epoxy in gallons = total area covered in square feet * ((weight of fiberglass cloth per yds * 0.00085) + 0.0075). So I have 108 sq ft * ((6oz cloth * 0.00085) + 0.0075) = 1.36 gals. It does seem low to me as well. I was thinking more like 3 gals. Just don't want to spend more than I need to.
Bryan

DrBryanJ

Postby DrBryanJ » Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:47 pm

Driving home I realized an error in my formula. I figured 12 yds of material, but forgot it is 50 inches wide not 36. So, my total sq ft is 150, not 108. That makes the total amount by the formula 1.89 gallons. That is for 3 coats. Carl, you used four coats and your vera cruise is larger than my malahini so that makes more sense now. I'll order 3 gallons to be on safe side.
Bryan

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:09 pm

Bryan

I usually use a coat on the glass and 2 filler coats. Three gal. will probably get the hull. Murphy's law: It will always take 1 more gallon than you bought. Keep Lisa away from this stuff at least as long as you can smell it.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

TAB

Postby TAB » Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:06 pm

unless you are doing it in big batches... always buy 25-50% more. you will be amazed at how much gets wasted.

Return to “Epoxy”