Filling pin holes left by staple legs

Problems, how to use. Also see: "EPOXY", in the left-hand column of the Home page.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, ttownshaw

Tony Hain

Filling pin holes left by staple legs

Postby Tony Hain » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:23 pm

So there must be an easy way to fill the pin holes left by staple legs in the final layer. I have applied that many coats of epoxy and sanded off that I have lost count and still there a a lot of dimples in the final mahogany layer. Below the water line it did not matter as I painted that section and used a filler, but above the waterline I have not stained so was worried about trying to use a filler in case the colour did not match. I have tried a syringe but as the surfaces are vertical the epoxy just ran and I still ended up with dimples.
Tony Hain
"Never under-estimate the bounds of human stupidity" (Robert Heinlein)
and on a more optimistic note "nor the capacity for human brilliance"

DrBryanJ

Re: Filling pin holes left by staple legs

Postby DrBryanJ » Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:21 am

A lot of builder use famowood mahogany. I have been doing that myself. I don't know how the color will match, but several posts have said the shade is pretty good. The can will dry out very quickly, so take out just what you need and reseal.
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:43 am

Tony

My solution is drive faster! They're hard to see at 60 Km per hour.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Tony Hain

Postby Tony Hain » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:46 pm

Probably a filler before I started epoxying would have been the go but now I have a few layers on I am not sure that will work. Bill is probably right and I am stressing about nothing. Anyway I have a couple of layers of clear coat to go yet which could solve the problem.
Tony Hain
"Never under-estimate the bounds of human stupidity" (Robert Heinlein)
and on a more optimistic note "nor the capacity for human brilliance"

WayWard

Postby WayWard » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:51 pm

Tony Hain wrote:Probably a filler before I started epoxying would have been the go but now I have a few layers on I am not sure that will work. Bill is probably right and I am stressing about nothing. Anyway I have a couple of layers of clear coat to go yet which could solve the problem.

Yeah I'd say that ship has sailed. You may be able to sand them out after a couple extra coats of epoxy

Return to “Epoxy”